This job has expired

Apprentice Economist

The Health Foundation, Salisbury Square House, 8 Salisbury Square, EC4Y 8AP
£17,850.00 annually
Closing date
17 Jun 2023

View more

Role Type
Apprenticeship, Degree
Start Date
What will the apprentice be doing?

Apprentice economists will spend 80% of their working week alongside colleagues in the REAL Centre, with the remaining 20% spent on academic work. The role in the REAL Centre will involve:
  • Applying economic concepts to problems in health and social care
  • Collecting and analysing data
  • Communicating findings through reports, presentations, blogs and social media

Apprentices will also be expected to contribute to corporate activities, such as staff meetings, and to demonstrate commitment to the Health Foundation's key behaviours: Working Together; Achieving Impact; and Discovering and Learning.

We value equality, diversity and inclusion, and welcome applications from different backgrounds. For this role, we positively encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from candidates underrepresented in social research roles, including disabled people and people from ethnic minorities. We are also committed to making reasonable adjustments for candidates who have accessibility requirements.

What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?

Apprentices will gain a Level 6 Professional Economist Apprenticeship Award and a BSc in Economic qualifications upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.

Apprentices are expected to attend a 5 day in-person induction each year at the University of Kent's Canterbury campus. There are also face-to-face intensive days held in London each trimester. Outside of these times, apprentices are expected to take one day a week to study online.

Apprentices will be supported to develop their skills and knowledge. They will mainly help colleagues on projects but will be encouraged to take responsibility for smaller pieces of work as they progress. They will have opportunities to work on both the supply (e.g. workforce) and demand side (e.g. population health needs) of the REAL Centre's work.

In addition, there will be the chance to collaborate with other teams in the Health Foundation with expertise in areas such as policy making and data analysis, ensuring the post holders gain a broad experience of the Foundation's work.

What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
  • This role is offered on a 4-year fixed-term contract. The candidate will be offered support and guidance to apply to job roles, within and outside the Health Foundation

Requirements and prospects

Desired skills and personal qualities

Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience


GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 7) Essential
A Level or equivalent 3 x any subject (Grade ABB or equivalent) Essential

Things to consider

We are currently working in a hybrid format at The Health Foundation. We would like REAL Centre apprentices to come into the office for a minimum of two days each week. Candidates should have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment and qualify for Apprenticeship funding.

Get job alerts

Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.

Create alert