What will the apprentice be doing?
This is a fantastic opportunity to embark on a career in science and technology. This degree level apprenticeship is perfect for you if you want an opportunity that will give you an experience in biological product development from day one. You will work in a fast-paced biopharma laboratory, under technical supervision, carrying out a wide variety of process development experiments using different methods.
There are 2 x vacancies in ABL to be filled for the April 2023 intake, one of them is in the Upstream Process Development (UPD) and the other in Analytical Development laboratory (ADL) departments. Both the roles will encompass process development activities for biologics mainly biosimilars, novel biological entities and potentially mRNA-based products. If recruited in the UPD team, under technical supervision, the apprentice will participate in the following activities:
- Process development activities for cell line development. This will include optimisation of Quality Target Product Profiles using Design of Experiment software and executing experimental runs in automation such as ambr250 and confirmation using bioreactors
- Material supply from bioreactors and ambr250 to Downstream process development (DSP) department for process development activities
- Cell culture of established mammalian cell lines
- Media and feed preparation for cell culture experiments
If recruited in the ADL team, under technical supervision, the apprentice will participate in the following activities:
- Carry out sample analysis in various analytical equipment (HPLC, UPLC, UV-Vis, Plate reader, CD, FTI, cIEF, CE-SDS, MS)
- Method development of chromatography / spectroscopy / capillary-based / Mass spectroscopy
- Qualify methods for structural characterisation of product and process-related impurities
In both the departments, the apprentice will follow close to GLP guidelines for executing activities. The candidate is also expected to help in the completion or solely execute the following activities:
- Data recording in accordance with data integrity principles
- Preparation of SOPs / MOAs / various reports, data compilation etc.
- Preparation of risk assessments and COSHH
- Ownership activities of various equipment
- Routine lab cleaning and EHS safety inspections
- Assist lab manager in any deliveries / parcels / stock check and ordering
- Response to DQA observations related to data verification
The BSc (Hons) will include a range of modules, including Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Applied Microbiology, Human Physiology and Disease, Metabolism and Enzymology, Infection and Immunity, Pharmacology, Drug Discovery and Development, and Research Methods, plus a choice of specialist modules in year 4.What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Qualification: BSc (Hons) in Applied Bioscience
Apprenticeship standard: Laboratory Scientist
Training provider: University of Kent
Delivery model: Blended learning through a mixture of online and face to face learning. Much of the programme is centred around work-based learning and projects, which meansas anapprentice, youwill be adding value to your organisation asyouwork through your Bachelor's degree. There are also two residential summer schools in years 1 and 2 to complete the Basic and Advanced Laboratory/Industry Skills modules. These will take place at the university's Canterbury campus.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
This role is part of our talent planning for the future and, for the right person, we are looking to continue to develop the apprentice upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Our business is growing, is fast paced and evolving, so there may be the opportunity to gain permanent employment in the team as an analytical support scientist, subject to performance, successful completion of the apprenticeship and a role being available.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Team working Qualifications
A Level or equivalent Biology or Chemistry (Grade C or above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science or Maths (Grade C or above) Essential Things to consider
The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with Accord Healthcare at its manufacturing site in Harrow. There will be no requirement for remote or shift working. Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site/training provider.