If you have a passion for teaching then this is an ideal position for you to start an inspiring career in education. Sutton at Hone school offer an excellent programme to support apprentices who want to be TA's. This is a small and friendly school in a lovely area, they have a Good rating on Ofsted and you can help them achieve outstanding.
Nearest train station is Farningham Road station.
Walking distance from station to bus stop is 0.3 miles, takes 6 minutes.
Bus number 414 (2 stops), takes 2 minutes.
Walking distance from bus stop to destination is 164 feet, takes 1 minute.
Overall travel time is 8 minutes. Overall walking distance from station to school is 20 minutes avoiding use of bus.
Description of vacancy
This vacancy will be as a teaching assistant to work with a class, providing appropriate one-to-one support for an individual pupil (including SEN pupils), or support for a small group of pupils of any ability and in any curriculum area.
- Implement structured learning activities/teaching programmes and support pupils in accessing learning activities under the guidance of the class teacher, providing feedback to pupils in relation to their progress and achievement in order for pupils to realise their full potential.
- Manage classroom activities safely ensuring that the physical learning space and the resources in it are conducive to pupil learning.
- Be able to use a range of strategies to deal with classroom behaviour and understand individual behavioural needs to ensure pupils’ learning needs are met.
- Promote good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy. Encourage pupils to take full responsibility for their own behaviour in order to maintain required standards of discipline and pupils’ wellbeing, health and safety.
- Be familiar with, and comply with a full range of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety, security and confidentiality reporting all concerns to an appropriate person to ensure pupils’ wellbeing.
- Provide clerical/admin support and undertake basic recording keeping in respect of pupil learning, behaviour management, child protection etc. as directed in order to support the class teacher deliver the specific learning programme set for each child.
- Undertake training and other learning activities and attend relevant meetings (within contracted hours) as required to ensure own continuing professional development.
- Provide support for the class teacher and colleagues in the manual handling and/or physical restraint of pupils to ensure pupils’ wellbeing, health and safety is maintained.
£158.40 per week
39 weeks per academic year.
Monday to Friday, 30 hours a week;
20% paid time during working hours is given to complete training, referred to as “Off the Job Training”
- Good ICT skills
- Ability to work well on their own as well as with others
- Good maths and English skills – GCSE A-C/9-4
- Ability to work in an organised and structured way
- Ability to deal calmly with challenging situations
- Well organised
- Good attention to detail
Minimum of Grade C/4-5 or equivalent in Maths and English
On the job training with the employer whilst working towards the Apprenticeship Standard – Teaching Assistants work in Primary, Special and Secondary education across all age ranges encompassing special educational needs and emotional vulnerabilities. The primary role of the Teaching Assistant is to support the class teacher to enhance pupils’ learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress.
Regular work based assessments/observations carried out by Kent Training & Apprenticeships Tutor Assessor, to determine competency and meet with Awarding Body standards.