Unlock the Secrets of Materials: Join Aggregate Industries Team as a Skilled Material Testing Technician Apprentice and Shape the Future of Quality Assurance!
Working for Aggregate Industries
Aggregate industries are one of the leading building materials suppliers. Our aim is to be the UK leader in innovative and sustainable building solutions. We are committed to grounding sustainability in the future of the construction industry.
With over 200 sites and around 3,700 dedicated employees, we offer a full range of construction products to help our partners work sustainably, safely, professionally, and profitably.
Our people are at the very heart of our business. It’s in how our people build strong partnerships through a shared commitment to sustainability that drives business growth.
At Tiro, we make great things happen for people. And that starts with you. In this role you’ll receive:
- Starting salary of £18,500 per annum
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Workings hours are 40 hours per week (7-3.30 or 12-8 shift overtime after that)
- Access to site vehicles
- Company pension scheme
- Regular training and CPD opportunities
What will I be doing as a Materials Technician Apprentice?
As a Materials Technician Apprentice, you’ll carry out appropriate product testing.
You’ll have the opportunity to visit customer sites, to investigate technical or quality queries/failures, and support with the investigation of customer complaints.
You could also be involved in product development which may involve laboratory product trials, product training and demonstrations - both onsite and off-site.
While you will have the opportunity to work in the laboratory, you will have to work off-site (in the field) and at different sites close by. It’s a great opportunity to get stuck in and meet other professionals you can learn from. No day will be the same!
Working as part of a close-knit team, you’ll learn on the job as you go. You’ll be supported and guided by a team of other apprentices and experienced materials technicians. Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working alongside other team members, testing the properties of construction materials (including concrete and aggregates) following required standards, in the laboratory and on construction sites.
- Improving the performance of existing products, to eliminate faults with materials already in use.
- Developing a practical understanding, knowledge of methods used to examine materials, including non-destructive testing (NDT).
- Attending training courses and assessments as required by the apprenticeship standard and maintain training records.
- Promoting and follow, the Health & Safety culture, in line with the companies’ safety rules and H&S legislation.
- Ensuring company van and testing equipment provided to perform technician duties, remains in a safe and legal condition with a good standard of housekeeping.
- Ensuring that testing equipment is kept and calibrated following the requirements of the company quality system and associated testing standards.
What could the future look like?
After completing your Level 3 apprenticeship there are many pathways available to you at Aggregate Industries and beyond. Here are some examples of how your career may progress:
- Level 4/5 Technician Scientist apprenticeship
- Senior technician (Average salary £29,015/year)
- Materials Engineer (Average salary £34,565/year)
- Laboratory Manager (Average salary £38,207/year)
- Project lead (Salary bonuses)
Our goal is to train you in many aspects of material testing and quality control. Hard work and determination will be recognised!
What will you bring?
Qualifications - It’s about enthusiasm, not school results. In our experience the most successful apprentices are those who are driven to find out more about the sector, can be up front about what they do and don’t already know, are considerate, self-reflective, and impatient to learn the job role!
While we never want to add obstacles to the application process, due to the needs of this role, the employer has stated that applicants will need a full UK manual driving licence (or close to achieving this) and will need to be 18 or over for their site vehicle insurances.
Experience - At Tiro are always open to wildcards. We’re not just interested in experience and qualifications; we’re looking for someone with the right attitude and aptitude to fit right in at Aggregate Industries.
We’re looking for someone who is focused and meticulous in all aspects of work. You’ll need to show you can be positive and proactive in identifying problems and defects.
You’ll have a naturally enquiring mind and be digitally savvy. We’re looking for someone who is self-confident to communicate with a range of people, whilst having the flexibility to work out of hours including night shifts & weekend working as required.
To succeed in this apprenticeship, you’ll need bags of enthusiasm, be a fantastic collaborator and be hungry to learn!
Even if this doesn’t sound quite like you, but you still think you could do a great job in the role, get in touch. We’re always open to wildcards.
Are you ready to be our next fearless apprentice? Make sure you make the most of this opportunity before it's gone!
The full job description is available on our website, click apply now to view and apply today!