We have an exciting opportunity for you to join the University of Oxford as an Apprentice Commis Chef in Kellogg College.
You will work as an Apprentice Chef. You will be required to complete a one-year training programme that will cover all aspects of the role and will be delivered through in-house training, as well as day-release or other distance learning methods delivered by Inspiro Learning. You will complete a Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship and you will gain Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard qualification.
You will be working with the Kitchen team that currently comprises of the Executive Head Chef, two Sous Chefs, a Chef de Partie and two Kitchen Porters.
Duties to include:
- Under supervision produce meals/dishes to the standard set out by the Executive Head Chef/Sous Chef
- With support ensure the prompt service of all meals and services, at the required times, to the clients’ standards of satisfaction
- Learn all areas/sections of the kitchen and develop a good working knowledge of each
- Learn to ensure food waste is monitored and recorded on the food wastage documentation
- When necessary and rostered or requested to do so, carry out kitchen porter duties such as washing and cleaning kitchen equipment and restaurant service, China, cutlery, and glassware
- Provide good customer service and assist, when necessary, with serving clients face to face
- Assist in ensuring the security of stores, cupboards, and any other kitchen areas
- Attend to any other reasonable requests by the Executive Head Chef, Sous chef, Restaurant Manager, or management of the College
Food Hygiene and Safety
- Develop the knowledge and skill to carry out duties in accordance with the College Food Hygiene Policy and current Food Hygiene and Health and Safety legislation
- Under supervision become familiar with the College Fire Safety and COSHH policies and follow them
- To maintain a high standard of personal hygiene when working and to wear a clean uniform
- Develop the knowledge of appropriate Health and Safety clothing and equipment at all times and use them accordingly
In total, it will take 18 months to complete all elements of the apprenticeship, including an end point assessment. You will receive support from your department, University, and the College throughout.
Becoming an apprentice at the University of Oxford is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience and training. For more information, please visit: https://www.apprenticeships.ox.ac.uk
You will be passionate about starting your career in catering and excited about the opportunity of becoming an apprentice at the University of Oxford. You may be starting your career, or you may be looking for a career change.
As part of this role, you will undertake an Apprenticeship with Inspiro Learning, where you will complete a Commis Chef Level 2 qualification.
For this apprenticeship, you will be based at Kellogg College, Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6PN. As part of your apprenticeship, you will be assessed every 6-8 weeks by your external tutor, provided by Inspiro Learning.
To complete the level 2 apprenticeship apprentices will need to demonstrate that they
are at Entry Level 3 or above in maths and English. They can do this by providing certificates for
previously achieved qualifications in each subject alongside completing an online initial assessment. If you did not achieve these grades, do not let that put you off from applying as you can study Functional Skills as part of the apprenticeship giving you the equivalent qualifications needed.
To help check that you have the potential to achieve these, Insipro Learning will ask you to complete a short initial assessment during the application process. There are also government residency requirements for Apprenticeship funding which the Training Provider will be able to advise on.
What we offer
Our apprentices are never on their own, you will benefit from a supportive environment working in collaboration with the rest of our committed team. You will also be supported by the central apprenticeship team, and you will join our growing network of apprentices within the university. You will have the opportunity to become an apprenticeship ambassador for the University and region.
We will provide you with a welcoming and inclusive workplace, offering support and development opportunities that will enable you to progress and do your best work. We recognise diversity as our strength, vital for innovation and creativity, and we aspire to build a truly diverse community, which values and respects every individual’s unique contribution.
Over 80% of our apprentices continue with us in the role they have been trained for after their Apprenticeship and that is just the start of their career.
You will receive 38 days’ annual leave inclusive of Bank Holiday and fixed closure dates, discounted travel, an excellent contributory pension scheme, and student discount. You will also be part of the University’s annual apprenticeship awards.