The Apprentice will support the work of the Gloucestershire Haematology Department across both Cheltenham and Gloucester Hospital sites. The role supports the administration team to deliver excellent patient care for our service line.
The teams across the service line consist of Medical Secretaries, Clerical Officers and Receptionists, reporting to the Supervisor Secretary for the Department.
The team provides a detailed and customer focused administrative service, with strong technical support across a variety of systems used to support administration processes at the Trust.
The Apprentice will be given training in all areas including IT systems, and will having ongoing supervision and support in order to become an effective team member.
The Apprentice will spend time in each area of the department and service line, to gain a wide range of skill development and provide administration support.
The successful applicant will receive Induction and training appropriate to the activities he or she will undertake, and following this induction period will be enrolled to the Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship with our Training Provider.
Off-the-job training and workshops at college are also included in this role.
Main duties of the job
To undertake training as required and agreed with the mentor, supervisor and external assessor, and complete competencies relevant to the work area / department.
To support and gain experience within the following admin duties on both hospital sites on a rotational basis:
- Taking / making telephone calls which will include dialogue with hospital colleagues and patients
- Accurate message taking and delivery to relevant personnel
- Prepping of on-line patient records
- Collecting/ordering and prepping of patient case-notes as required
- Producing clinic lists for clinicians
- Scanning of documents and on-line filing
- Processing incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Training in reception desk duties
- Audio typing of dictated letters and processing of actions within dictations
- Processing of voice recognition software for the purpose of clinic letters
- Taking minutes of meetings and distributing accordingly
- Archiving of health records and documents
- Attending and participating in team meetings
- Daily use of the in-house computer programmes; eg Trak and Infoflex
The Apprentice will also be expected to undertake any appropriate duties or tasks commensurate with the role, as required by the supervisor or manager.
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the largest employer in the county and with over 8,000 staff, we are one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK. We offer a generous annual leave allowance, excellent bank rates, access to the excellent NHS Pension Scheme, discounts for local shops, restaurants and services, access to our health and well-being hub, access to our two on-site nurseries, flexible working options, discounted public transport, reward and recognition schemes, exercise and activity classes and membership to our popular hospital choir.
Our Trust values each and every one of our apprentices and offers continued support and guidance. Many apprentices have successfully completed and remained with our Trust in a variety of areas
02 June 2023
£10,324.31 a year per annum
Trustwide (Both Gloucestershire Royal Hospital and Cheltenham General Hospital)