We're looking for a fearless apprentice to work with one of our ambitious employers - Thomas Howse Ltd!
Thomas Howse, established in 1903, are an independent industrial paint and powder coating manufacturer, centrally based in the West Midlands.
They offer a comprehensive range of surface coating and specialise in all the latest up-to-date processes, conforming to the latest British Standards. Thomas Howse have fully trained technical staff who are able to develop new paints and can adapt unique systems to suit individual customer requirements. They are also looking at ways of reducing emissions by producing a wide range of high specification water-based paints and powder coatings that can be cured at low temperatures. These are all designed to reduce our carbon footprints and a safer work environment.
They’re investing into the business, to continue to develop the company for the future. As part of this investment, they are looking for a fearless apprentice to join them, who isn’t afraid to be hands-on and has a desire to contribute to their goals long term, during this exciting time of growth and development.
At Tiro, we make great things happen for people. And that starts with you. In this role you’ll receive:
- Starting salary of £16,500 per annum.
- 28 days annual leave including bank holidays.
- Workings hours are 37.5 hours per week (Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 4:15pm, Friday 8:30am – 3:30pm).
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Quarterly Production bonus.
- Regular training and CPD opportunities.
What will I be doing as a Chemical Laboratory Technician Apprentice?
As a Chemical Laboratory Technician Apprentice with Thomas Howse, you’ll have the opportunity to coordinate with the laboratory and production team to support with the laboratory activities associated with production and QC & development projects (with support from their team of experts).
You’ll be working as part of a close-knit team, supported, and guided by a team of professionals, each with diverse backgrounds and experiences you can learn from. It’s an amazing opportunity to get stuck in and no day will be the same!
Being an apprentice is hands-on, so you’ll get the chance to learn things you might otherwise not have experienced in a university or college environment, and you’ll develop a good understanding of chemical handling.
Our goal is to work with you, developing your lab skills, so you become competent in various test methods and in operating key pieces of equipment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Preparing samples, development products and associated materials for testing.
- Carrying out analysis for new raw materials, process and finished products.
- Basic QC testing including, Grind (dispersion), Viscosity, Yield, Gloss, Colour (to agreed variance standards) plus any product specific testing (application, sag, weathering etc.)
- Logging/recording all results appropriately and inform line manager of any abnormal results.
- Developing the outline standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for handover to the production team.
- Ensuring the performance of all analytical instruments following standards, maintaining up to date testing processes are in place for new materials.
- Calibration and standardization of any equipment provided for the Laboratory to agreed standards.
- Follows up with maintenance staff for minor maintenance works in the laboratory (calibrations etc).
- Assists the line manager in carrying out experiments, product development, problem simulation, product training, responding to technical queries and demonstrations.
- Housekeeping work in the laboratory, including preparing equipment for safe use by following company guidelines.
- Ensure all activities are completed following laboratory standards, regulatory procedures and to health and safety guidelines.
- Any other reasonable task as directed by Lab Manager or Directors.
- Attend training courses and assessments as required by the apprenticeship standard and maintain training records.
What could the future look like?
There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you work for Thomas Howse. Their team and business is growing and developing so they are looking for someone who wants to play a key part in building their future.
There will be opportunities to further develop and progress within the business after completion of the apprenticeship and there is also the possibility, down the line, for progression onto the Level 6 Applied Chemical Science degree apprenticeship, allowing you to obtain a degree and growing as a future leader within the business.
Through ‘on-the-job’ training you’ll have the opportunity to learn new skills to provide competency and responsibility in carrying out testing and to help develop your career.
Hard work and determination will be recognised!
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of the business, building the future of the company. With the latest investment of 450,000 euros, we’ve been able to revamp the lab and equipment and we’re continuing to invest in the future of the company.”
Gary Plant – General Manager
This apprenticeship program serves as a stepping stone towards a rewarding career in laboratory testing, with the added opportunity for the apprentice to become a registered Science technician (RSci Tech).
We’re looking for someone who is focused and meticulous in all aspects of work. You’ll need to demonstrate you can be positive and proactive, managing your daily working activities. The ability to think on your feet and work through problems, is crucial.
This dynamic role means your days will be varied and you’ll have to be ready to contribute to the success of the team daily. You’ll also need to be self-confident to communicate with a range of people in the business, including clients.
This is a spectacular opportunity, for someone who is naturally curious and an analytical thinker! It’s an opportunity which is more chemically aligned, so a passion for this area of science would be a good match.
To succeed in this apprenticeship, you’ll need bags of enthusiasm, be a fantastic collaborator and be hungry to learn!
Even if this doesn’t sound quite like you, but you still think you could do a great job in the role, get in touch. We’re always open to wildcards.
Are you ready to be our next fearless apprentice? Make sure you make the most of this opportunity before it's gone!
The full job description is available on our website, click apply now to view and apply today!