What will the apprentice be doing?
Our Underwriting teams work with companies worldwide to create insurance solutions designed for specific industries and business challenges, supporting customers as diverse as the world's largest consumer brands, tech companies and the global aviation and shipping industry, but also floating wind parks, private pilots or Hollywood film actors.
You will be working within an experienced team such as Marine or Financial Lines, who will help you to learn and grow. We are committed to providing an inclusive and supportive environment where everyone can thrive and bring their unique perspectives and ideas to the table.
Some of your specific responsibilities could include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Support underwriting of new and renewal accounts, preparing all documentation and completion of underwriting tools
- Proactively prepare relevant underwriting information including client / market research and claims data
- Handle document management for the team
- Ensure that all systems are updated accurately and in a timely fashion
- Conduct analyses of the portfolio data, to support strategic decisions for the Energy & Construction team
- Assist in the coordination of Natural Catastrophe reporting
- Assist in ensuring contract certainty is achieved on all accounts at time of inception
- Liaise with other functions e.g. Operations, Credit Control and Claims
- Develop and maintain peer relationships with brokers, clients and the Underwriting teams
Starting in September 2023, our Underwriting Apprentice program will give you the opportunity to develop a range of skills while spending two years working in London with one of our Underwriting teams. In addition to on-the-job development, you'll spend 20% of your time participating on a Level 4 Insurance Specialist apprenticeship program which will enable you to apply for your Diploma in Insurance from the Chartered Insurance Institute. This is an ideal opportunity for anyone looking to embark on a career as an Underwriter and will provide you with the knowledge, skills and behaviors for success.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Our Apprenticeship Program is the perfect opportunity to start your career in the insurance industry with a global company. You are likely to progress into an Underwriting role upon completion of this apprenticeship but you may choose to follow one of the many and varied alternative career paths that the insurance industry offers.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
A Level or equivalent Any (Grade Any) Essential Things to consider
This position is designed for, school leavers holding 3 A-levels (or equivalent). Those with a higher level of qualification, such as a bachelors degree, are advised to apply to one of our other early careers program or direct entry roles. You must have achieved Level 2 in English and Math (equivalent to GCSE grade 9-4/ A*-C)