What will the apprentice be doing?
· The preparation, procurement and management of simple sub-contract packages
· Assist with commercial administration and management on several live projects or projects at preconstruction phase
· The preparation of sub-contract tender enquiry documentation including project specific ER's,
· Prelims, Contract Amendments, specifications, drawings as appropriate
· Identification of risk and opportunity within sub-contract tender documentation
· Assist with detailed analysis of sub-contractor price returns and submission documents including tender clarifications, programme and logistics as appropriate
· Assist with assessment and interpretation of sub-contractors' application for payment including
· variations, materials and issuing payment notices, as appropriate
· Measure progress, assist in submitting valuations, final accounts and retention release and monitor receipt of payment in a timely manner
· Implementation of preliminary and sub-contract cost control on site
· Administration of variation documentation and instructions
· Daily site inspections and taking notices of delivery and progress of packages
· Maintaining site/project records e.g. site diaries, time allocation sheets, photographs, dilapidation surveys, registers etc
· Undertake all duties in line with McLaren Management Process (quality control, record keeping, SHE)
· Undertake all duties in line with Level 1 McLaren Values Framework
· Assist the QS with the management of day-to-day cost control and reporting
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Apprentices will be completing their qualification initially at Headquarters, 10 Chiswell Street, London with the likelyhood to move to a greater London based Project. Apprentices are required to attend University (at their premises) once a week. Please ensure that you can attend in a safe and timely manner!
Apprentices are only required required to complete functional skills maths and english if they have not met the initial A - C grade (4 - 7) entry requirements on to the programme.
Once our successful candidate completes their programme they will have achieved an Apprenticeship qualification in Construction Quantity Surveyor Technician Level 4.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You will join the McLaren Apprenticeship Programme where you will network and build relationships with other Apprentices across the company, giving you a broader scope of the business while working towards a interpersonal/communication skills curriculum.
You will have the option to progress to a degree level apprenticeship to further enhance your knowledge and understanding and gain a higher level qualification.
Be able to join our Professional Chartership Support Programme and work towards gaining professional chartership and gain ongoing support for your continuous professional development (CPD).
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
GCSE or equivalent Maths and English (Grade 4 - 7) Essential