Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship - ADPE mRNA - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
You will work as part of a team on the discovery of optimised therapeutic mRNA molecules having the potential to treat a wide range of diseases. By encoding a biologic medicine to patients, their own immune system will then synthesis the active protein drug in their own bodies.
You will work on a project focused on the optimisation of protein expression from mRNA by manipulation of the primary sequence, control elements and other properties of mRNA.
As part of this role, you will learn a number of Recombinant DNA and RNA techniques and other laboratory techniques, including:
- In silico design of plasmid DNA and mRNA constructs for protein expression
- Polymerase chain reaction
- Plasmid vector constructions and cloning in bacteria
- DNA mutagenesis
- In Vitro transcription
- Nucleic acid purification and analysis by gel and capillary electrophoresis
- DNA sequencing and analysis
- Transfection of cultured cells
- Fluorescent assays
- Protein quantitation
You will be required to perform laboratory work with precision, care and attention to detail using complex concepts, be able to analyse and interpret data, and keep accurate experimental records.
- 5 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including maths and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above (or equivalent) plus an additional Science or maths
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher-Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete.
This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship.
Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector.
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills are managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 days Holiday Entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your apprenticeship
- Discount at PureGym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.