Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship - Oncology (In Vivo) - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
MedImmune Oncology has a pipeline of candidate therapies aimed at enhancing the immune response to cancer. Such “immune-oncology” (IO) approaches have recently emerged as the most promising breakthrough in cancer treatment and is central to our oncology strategy.
As part of our in vivo team, you will be responsible for assessing the efficacy of our candidate drugs in rodent models of cancer and will work as part of a highly skilled team to design and execute rodent studies. With training, you will prepare and administer drugs to rodents, will monitor welfare and response of tumour to drug candidates, collect blood and tissue samples, write protocols, record and analyse data, summarise results in reports and present data in internal meetings.
Core techniques include:
- Animal handling and care (rodents)
- In vivo techniques – injections via multiple routes of administration, tumour measurements, body weights, oral gavage, blood sampling, tissue harvest, humane euthanasia
- Drug preparation and administration
- Tissue culture – culture and harvest of tumour cell lines, aseptic technique, cell counting, viability testing, ex vivo culture of primary immune cells
- Immunology assays – ELISAs, MSD, flow cytometry, T cell proliferation assays, cytokine measurement
- 5 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher-Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship
- Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Applicants will be expected to complete training to obtain a personal license (PIL) from the Home Office.
Offer will be contingent on applicant’s ability to pass a health screen.
Cogent Skills are managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
- Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals