Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship - Pathology - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
We are looking for a highly motivated early career scientist to join our Pathology Team who will be responsible for a wide range of laboratory-based pathology tasks to support our drug pipeline projects. You will use a wide range of cutting edge scientific technologies to advance antibody research projects whilst adhering to relevant health and safety procedures.
As an apprentice within pathology, you will gain a number of general laboratory skills including:
- pH measurement/adjustment
- Reagent preparation
- Temperature control and monitoring of refrigerated reagents
You will also gain a number of technical skills including:
- Becoming technical competence in the use of specific instruments; microtome, cryostat, microscope, digital image scanner, tinctorial staining equipment, specialised -80C freezers
- Tissue banking and accessioning
- Ex vivo tissue processing and embedding to wax blocks
- Tissue sample data input to specialised databases
- Digital slide scanning
- Immunohistochemistry techniques
You will be required to keep highly accurate records including any relevant calculations and adhere to all good laboratory practices and standard operating procedures.
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or Mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher-Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship
- Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector
Things to consider
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills are managing the recruitment process in partnership with MedImmune. The successful candidate will be employed by Cogent Skills Services but will undertake all on-job learning with MedImmune Limited.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals.