Level 5 Technician Scientist Degree Apprenticeship - Protein Sciences - MedImmune
Working hours - Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm
Annual wage - £15,000
Expected apprenticeship duration - 3 years
Possible start date - 2nd September 2019
This role will give you a deep understanding and skills set across our antibody discovery and protein engineering team. As part of a multidisciplinary team, you will work with technical experts in many key areas and focus on both our drug project pipeline and technology projects.
You will learn a wide range of Laboratory/Scientific Techniques including:
- Molecular biology; Cloning & PCR, DNA preparation
- Antibody Selections; Phage display and ribosome display
- Protein Expression and Purification; expression in bacterial & mammalian cells, protein purification and protein biophysical characterisation
- Assays; biochemical and cell-based assays
- Data Analysis
You will be trained in core competencies including
- General workplace Health and Safety
- Laboratory Housekeeping
- Documentation management and compliance
- Communication & presentation skills
- Team work
- Problem solving
- 5 GCSE's at grades C/4 or above (or equivalent) including mathematics and English
- Will have, or are predicted, A-Levels equalling 80 new UCAS points, including Biology at grade C or above plus an additional Science or mathematics
- Equivalent level 3 qualifications (e.g. BTEC) will also be considered (with a minimum requirement of 80 new UCAS points)
- Subject to satisfactory completion of the Higher Level Apprenticeship, you may be invited to progress on to the Level 6 Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship, which will take a further 24 months to complete
- This role is part of our talent planning for the future, and for the right person we are looking to continue to develop the Apprentice upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship
- Because of the technical experience you will gain from this role, you will gain skills which many graduates have yet to develop. If you demonstrate practical ability in addition to problem solving ability there are unlimited opportunities for progression within the Life Sciences sector
Things to consider
The individual will be working within a laboratory environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures and personal hygiene standards during testing activities (e.g. correct use of PPE such as laboratory coats and glasses).
The individual will be required to handle hazardous materials (e.g. chemicals, microorganisms) and so must adhere to the relevant procedures.
Please ensure that you currently live within, or can relocate to, a commutable distance of the site.
Due to the part-time nature of the Foundation Degree, you must be able to demonstrate a responsible and mature attitude to your study and work-based activities. Study time will form part of your working week.
Cogent Skills offers a wide range of benefits to our employees, including:
- 25 Days Holiday entitlement (+ Bank Holidays)
- Opt in pension scheme – Workplace Pension Scheme
- Student discount card (NUS)
- Employee assistance programme
- Dedicated mentor for the duration of your Apprenticeship
- Discount at Pure Gym
- Apprentices may be eligible for annual wage increments, subject to company budgets and satisfactory completion of goals