What will the apprentice be doing?
We have an amazing opportunity for a Software Developer Apprentice to join our team. In this role, you will have the opportunity to learn and grow your skills in software development while contributing to meaningful projects and product development. The purpose of the software developer role involves designing, creating and maintaining software applications, systems, and solutions. Software developers play a crucial role in the software development lifecycle, from conceptualising an idea to delivering a functional and high-quality product.
As an Apprentice, you will work under the guidance of experienced developers and collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop innovative software solutions.
Your responsibilities will grow with you as you build your knowledge and skills. You will have the opportunity to develop an understanding or and skills in:
- Design and planning
- Coding and implementation
- Version control and collaboration tools
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (CI/CD)
- Problem solving
- Adaptation to new technologies
- Maintenance and updates
- Security and quality
- User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI)
This programme caters to applicants from all walks of life, with no prior experience required. We believe that a diverse team leads to better innovation and problem-solving, so we invite all individuals interested in exploring the exciting world of software testing to apply.
We're looking for someone who has passion and is solutions-driven, demonstrating an aptitude for learning, attention to detail, and a willingness to pick up and try things in unfamiliar situations. We do not believe in failure, only learning.
You are a person who:
- Takes ownership of their work
- Takes initiative in seeking support when needed
- Wants to develop their skills and learning
- Applies prior learning to new challenges
- Shows ability to learn, apply, and adapt new tools
- Has the pragmatism to know when to apply new methods
- Shows collaboration skills with clear and concise communication
- Contributes to a powerful team working environment
- Demonstrates good attention to detail
- Finds and reports issues systematically
- Is customer-focused
- Has the user at the heart of your quality approach
- Has already completed Level 3 qualifications at school or college
- Does not already have more than 6 months professional experience working as a Software Developer
- Is willing to commit to completing a Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship over an approximate duration of 18-months
- Is attracted by the progression opportunities at BlackDice that will follow, based on successful completion of this course
You will get hands-on training and mentorship from experienced professionals in the software testing and software development fields. We will provide a supportive and inclusive work culture that values diversity and personal growth. You will be one of the reasons why we are able to grow our business and change the lives of millions of people, and if you successfully complete your Apprenticeship, you will be offered a permanent role.What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
As part of the Level 4 Software Developer apprenticeship standard, you'll be registered as a member with the British Computer Society and be on a fast track to an industry recognised qualification and your dedicated industry coach will support you through a blended approach that will include remote, in person, 1-2-1 and group learning.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
After the successful completion of your apprentice you'll be able to continue to develop your career in software development or you may want to explore other roles within the company.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent 5 GCSE's including Maths and English (Grade Grade A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths, Science, Computer Science or similar (Grade A - C) Essential