New Name. New Era. We’re making some exciting changes to our company brands and uniting SNC-Lavalin, Atkins, and Faithful+Gould to become AtkinsRéalis. Aligned to this we’re introducing a brand new look.
This is a journey, and it will take time to evolve, so for early careers you will still see us as Atkins for the time being. Please be reassured that this doesn’t impact any of the roles you apply for – we’re still us, just better.
Atkins, operating under AtkinsRéalis is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design, engineering and project management expertise. With us, you’ll join a team that asks questions and dares to see things differently while engineering a better future for our planet and its people.
Join our Graduate Development Programme where you'll be trusted with complex work and supported by your peers, line managers and senior leaders. We’ll give you everything you need to thrive; from plenty of opportunities in areas you’re interested in, to flexibility for work, life and study – not to mention excellent training and support to develop professionally. Join us: you'll be in great company.
Reaching your full potential means being able to bring your whole self to work and being respected for the different opinions, strengths and experience you bring. We’re not all the same, and that’s our greatest strength. Find out more about why we believe ‘Different, makes a difference’.
As a Graduate Geologist, Geotechnical or Tunnelling Engineer on our prestigious graduate programme you could be involved in one of the most exciting sectors in civil and environmental engineering. You’ll help to support and deliver the technical aspects of a variety of engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of challenging and exciting projects in the UK and internationally.
You could play a part in designing and constructing new and innovative infrastructure (such as mass transit systems, tunnelling and power supply), geohazard, underground storage and offshore geotechnics. Together we share knowledge and create a better, more sustainable future for all by safeguarding our natural resources. Whatever your ambitions we’ve a role to match your passion and degree, while our training will help you achieve Chartered status and develop industry skills that are highly sought after.
Degree requirements: Minimum 2.1 Bachelor’s / BEng in Engineering Geology and Geotechnics or 2.2 Master’s / MEng in Ground Engineering, Civil Engineering, Engineering Geology, Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering, or related subject
Locations: Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Cambridge, Croydon, Edinburgh, Epsom (Surrey), Glasgow, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Sheffield or Warrington
Our Ground Engineering team is committed to providing world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing on the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. You’ll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Key duties include:
- Desk studies and site reconnaissance
- Site walkovers and inspections
- Specification, planning and procurement of ground investigations
- Supervision of ground investigation works on site
- Checking of factual geotechnical data obtained from ground investigations and associated digital data management
- Development of conceptual and observational ground models
- Writing of interpretative reports and derivation of geotechnical parameters for design
- Geotechnical design and associated reporting
Degree requirements: Minimum 2.1 Bachelor’s / BEng or 2.2 Master’s / MEng in Civil Engineering, Mining Engineering, or related subject
Locations: Epsom (Surrey), London
Our team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. You’ll be supported by a team with expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ‘ground-contacting’ structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here you’ll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
Key duties include:
- Tunnelling design and associated reporting
- Micro-tunnelling (HDD, Pipejacking, direct pipe)
- Large tunnels (TBMs, SCL, Square works..)
- Ground movement assessment and impact assessment
- Tunnel Principal Inspection and Asset management
- Shafts, tunnel’s portals ancillary structures
- Undertaking feasibility studies
- Specification, planning and procurement of tunnels projects
- Working with specialist software to support planning programmes
- Supervision of construction works on site
What you can bring
- A passion for working in a consultancy environment
- Embracing equality, diversity and inclusion in everything you do
- A desire to work collaboratively with a curious approach, challenging yourself to find new solutions
- Enthusiasm and drive to develop your skillset and seek out development opportunities within a supportive team
- Motivation to achieve professional accreditation (where applicable)
- Comfortable to embrace agile ways of working and learning new technologies
Training and development
Our graduate programme has been designed to give you an insight into a wide variety of areas of work and the chance to explore where your own skills and interests lie.
Featuring a series of training events and modules, professional development, mentoring and on-the-job experience as well as practical skills development, you’ll work on real projects from day one, that offer scale and variety, collaborating with others and creating meaningful impact on the world around us. You’ll work towards your professional accreditation where applicable; so whichever path you take, your future starts here.
Meeting your needs
As well as ensuring you’re rewarded for your efforts, we also have a variety of initiatives to support you:
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join and a further payment of £2,500 when you achieve chartered status or reach an equivalent stage in your professional development
- 33 days annual leave, including bank holidays, with the option to buy an additional 15 days or sell up to 5 days
- Flexible working arrangements
- Two paid annual volunteer days
- Join any of our employee networks for social interaction, peer support and personal development
- Opportunities to further develop yourself by applying to various company-wide development programmes
- An enhanced maternity scheme and family friendly policies
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) providing you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life matters
- Life #InsideAtkins - join hundreds of talented graduates, with opportunities from skill-building to social events, charity challenges, Young Professional Awards, social clubs, and exciting secondments