Who you’ll be working for:
King’s College London is an internationally renowned university delivering exceptional education and world-leading research. It is based over several London campuses.
King’s College London’s IT Department is looking for enthusiastic, motivated, apprentices with great communication skills to kick start their IT career and join us in providing excellent customer service and IT Support for King’s staff and students. You’ll be joining our End User Services Desktop Team, who are the front of house for King’s IT, and support people at all levels of the University.
You’ll become an integral part of our Desktop support team, providing advice and technical assistance to King’s staff and students, both in person at our walk up IT HelpDesks, and via support tickets.
Strand, London, WC2R 2LS
£23,898 per annum
What the job entails:
Your off-the-job training will be with QA our Apprenticeship Partner, and will consist of online self study, and online classroom style teaching.
A typical day with us will involve a shift on our IT HelpDesk assisting King’s staff and students with in-person IT support and assistance, and the rest of the day working closely with our Desktop Team.
You will work on an 18-month contract with us while you complete your studies, and will have the opportunity to complete two Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) exams in Cloud and relevant technologies, and your ITIL Foundation Certificate, in addition to the Level 3 Cloud Engineer Apprenticeship.
Our team supports a range of IT hardware and software including:
- Windows and MacOS laptops and desktops
- Android and IOS phones/ tablets
- Microsoft 365 and other specialist software
- Audio visual equipment for teaching and learning
- And lots more!
You’ll be responsible for:
- Providing technical and customer service support via a rota at campus-based locations
- Processing support tickets assigned to the End User Services team and ensure their timely completion
- Participating in cross team working and training
- Ensuring knowledge and skills are developed on the supported IT infrastructure
- Functioning as an IT ambassador providing advice and knowledge where appropriate
- Contributing actively to the continual service improvement process
- Contributing to the IT knowledge base and documentation
What we are looking for:
Skills and qualities:
- Basic computer literacy
- Basic customer services experience
- Ability to identify and manage priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proactive approach to work
- Ability to set and achieve goals for self within the framework provided
- Willingness to update personal knowledge and a commitment to continuous improvement
- 3 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grades 4+ (A-C) in any subject
- GCSE Maths and English (or equivalents) at grades 3+ (D or above)
- Prospective apprentices must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level as this apprenticeship is in a similar subject
You may also have a combination of qualifications and experience which demonstrate the minimum foundation needed for the programme. In this instance you could still be considered for the programme.
If you hold international equivalents of the above qualifications, at the time of your application you must be able to provide an official document that states how your international qualifications compare to the UK qualifications.
For more information, please visit the UK ENIC website.
- Competitive pay - We offer a salary competitive within the sector. King’s is proud to be an accredited London Living Wage employer
- Excellent pensions - You’ll join one of our highly competitive pension schemes
- Families and carers - We offer leave and assistance to support your parenting and caring commitments
- Time off - In addition to public holidays, you’ll receive 27 days’ paid leave each year (30, if you have a clinical contract) and four extra days at Christmas
- Flexible working - Our flexible working provisions are designed to help you to balance your personal and professional lives
- Wellbeing, community and support - We offer discounted gym membership and sports facilities, an employee assistance programme, events, free lectures and more
- Development - Your development goals will be supported through a number of inclusive programmes and activities
- Discounts - We give you access to a wide range of discounts through the NUS, NHS, and third party arrangements
- Visa and immigration costs - We provide interest-free loans to cover UK visa fees and Immigration Health Surcharge costs
- Travel to work - We offer interest-free season ticket loans and also operate a popular Cycle2Work scheme
There may be permanent employment after finishing your apprenticeship at King's College - with well defined career paths. Additionally, there may be opportunities to undertake further apprenticeship training.
Our apprenticeships are the perfect way to gain new skills, earn while you learn, and launch yourself into an exciting future. With over 30,000 successful apprenticeship graduates, we're a top 50 training provider, dedicated to helping you succeed.