Smoothwall is the leading digital safeguarding solutions provider in UK Education. 12,500 schools, colleges and multi-academy trusts depend on our technologies to keep their students safe and their education organisations compliant.
Our solutions work alone or combine to provide a complete online safety infrastructure that protects students, staff and network safety – at every touch point.
We are now looking for an eager candidate to join us as an apprentice.
You will have the opportunity to gain valuable skills and experience as you complete a Software Developer - Level 4 Apprenticeship.
We employ a hybrid-working scheme.
£18,000 per annum.
- Take and interpret software requirements from staff and students
- Helping staff and students articulate their requirements as a user story
- Write logical and maintainable software solutions
- Using college software design patterns for commonly occurring problems
- Following conventions to format code appropriate to the language being used
- Applying security best practices to the software solution
- Testing software and fixing problems
- Performing testing for the software solution
- Providing support to staff
- Produce and maintain system documentation
What we are looking for:
- Experience of Microsoft Windows operating environment and Microsoft Office packages
- A proven aptitude for software development
- A basic knowledge of coding, database design and web page creation
- A clear understanding of the need to ensure data is secure and recoverable
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Accuracy of work and attention to detail
- Customer care skills
- Passionate about learning and its importance in life
- Having high expectations of self and others
- Honest, open, reflective and self-critical
- Keenness to develop new expertise
- Ability and willingness to work flexibly outside normal working hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Doing ones best, adapting well to change and always seeking to do better
- A supportive team worker
- Treating staff and students fairly and with respect, valuing their diverse contributions
- Fully committed to promoting & safeguarding welfare of children & young people
The entry requirements for this programme are as follows:
- The learner must have completed a Level 3 Software Development Apprenticeship with QA or have an equivalent qualification with another training provider
- OR an A-level in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) subject and a successful completion of our aptitude test
- OR a BTEC Diploma in IT and a successful completion of our aptitude test
- OR 2 years’ experience in a relevant role and successful completion of our aptitude test
You may also have a combination of qualifications and experience which demonstrate the minimum foundation needed for the programme. In this instance you could still be considered for the programme.
If you hold international equivalents of the above qualifications, at the time of your application you must be able to provide an official document that states how your international qualifications compare to the UK qualifications.
For more information, please visit the UK ENIC website.
- Enrol all employees into the Local Government Pension Scheme this pension schemes have much higher contribution rates and retirement benefits in comparison to the government NEST scheme
- A minimum of 22 days’ annual leave
- Access to the College gym for one off fee £20
- Totum Card / NUS
- Bupa Cashplan
- Flexible working
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Shared Parental leave and payParking
There will be great opportunities to develop and progress upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Our apprenticeships are the perfect way to gain new skills, earn while you learn, and launch yourself into an exciting future. With over 30,000 successful apprenticeship graduates, we're a top 50 training provider, dedicated to helping you succeed.