What will the apprentice be doing?
School Sport Coachesdesign and deliver coaching programmes that focus on the acceleration of sustainable mastery of children's psychomotor skills and wider physical education standards. They profile children's cognitive, social, emotional and physical development needs. They measure psychomotor, technical and tactical skills in a range of physical activity contexts drawn from the Department for Education's National Curriculum to enable physical education targets to be agreed. These results are used tocreate a high-level curriculum plan that considers school term schedules and a 'whole child' development approach.
The nature of roles and responsibilities for this role may include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Carrying out an audit of Physical Activity, Sport and Wellbeing related provision. Using the results of this alongside the organisational development plan and strategic objectives to develop an action plan
- Working directly with pupils of all ages
- Working collaboratively with a wide range of partner organisations and industry specialists
- Planning and delivering programmes of activity for pupils, families and communities
- Performing physical activity and fundamental movement skills baseline and impact assessments of children
- Supporting the delivery of high quality and inclusive PE lessons to pupils in schools in line with the requirements of national curriculum for PE and the profile of needs across the pupil population
- Deliver a range of physical activity interventions to support learning and well-being development
- Delivering an exciting extracurricular sports and activity programme including lunchtime activities in schools/communities/leisure facilities
- Support competitive sports events and tournaments
- Offering family engagement projects for physical activity
- Support pastoral work of the school by delivering provision to enhance the mental health, self-esteem and wellbeing of children
- Implementing strategies to achieve 30mins of activity objectives
- Supporting the delivery of our swim programme for children (specific training would be provided for this)
- Coordinating sports and physical activity related projects
- Safeguard children at all times
- Contribute to the overall ethos and working values of the school
- Contribute to raising standards by ensuring high expectations are shared with children
- Supervise and support pupils ensuring their safety, by complying with good H&S practice
- Support the teachers and coach in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties as appropriate
- Attend training sessions as required for CPD purposes
The training provider (Aspire Training Solutions) offer a blended learning delivery design which encompasses a range of methods to engage apprentices and offers a rich and exciting programme. Your training programme with them will involve:
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Level 4 School Sports Coach Apprenticeship Standard
- Sector specific CPD, such as;
- Sports coaching - practical skills
- Supporting the PE curriculum
- Behaviour Management
- Practical PE Curriculum
- Safeguarding / Prevent
- Mental Health and Wellbeing
We will support you in your personal development by providing you with the underpinning knowledge, skills and experience for the following:
- Careers within the Sport Coaching industry
- Careers within the Education sector including Behaviour & Learning Mentors, Teaching Assistants and Primary Teaching
- Potential further employment with the employer
- Opportunity for further education
Candidates successfully achieving this apprenticeship will be eligible to apply for membership with the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) as a Practitioner.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths & English (Grade C/4+) Essential Things to consider
Candidates must be confident and happy to travel to and from the school location each day. Please only apply for this apprenticeship if the location suits your mode of transport and travel times etc. This post will involve physical activity so will require apprentices to be interested and passionate about sports and physical activity, and have sufficient a level of fitness. Candidates will need to be eager to work with children to enable their participation in activity.