What will the apprentice be doing?
IQHQ are a fast-moving company and successful candidates normally have a strong set of grades at GCSE and will eventually be able to work independently when required. As we regularly work with the Ministry of Defence, candidates must be eligible for UK security clearance. Candidates must also be willing to take part in national field trials (as part of a team) to demonstrate the software and hardware to MoD customers.
Candidates will typically gain exposure to the following experiences in software engineering:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Stack design and development, especially control based user interfaces for monitoring and commanding systems
- Networking experience, especially protocol design in challenging environments
- System and data flow design skills
- Basic control system experience
- Linux experience (especially in real time applications) for development since our toolchains are built around it
Estio apprenticeship training programmes are delivered virtually by our fully qualified and industry experienced training team. Using their expert knowledge, we've purposefully built our programmes around the real-world use of modern technology, so that the skills we create can be directly applied in the workplace.
Throughout the apprenticeship learners receive coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated team who are there to ensure they get the most from their work experience.
Successful completion of this apprenticeship gives you an accredited Level 4 Software Developer, with training in how to:
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Create logical and maintainable codes for software development
- Apply security best practice to the software solution throughout the software development life cycle
- Apply appropriate recovery techniques to ensure the software solution being developed is not lost
- Implement accurate and effective change control
- Undertake unit testing of solutions, with appropriate levels of test code coverage, to identify and resolve issues
- Apply suitable 'bug fixes' based on severity and priority
The role offers long term security and the opportunity to progress into a permanent position. Successful candidates offered full-time role following successful completion of their apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Organisation skills, Friendly, Hard working, To work independently Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade A*-C/9-4 or equivalent) Essential
GCSE or equivalent maths (Grade A*-C/9-4 or equivalent) Essential