Level 4 Software Developer
Weekly Hours Worked: 37.5 hours a week, Flexitime, unpaid lunchbreak
About the company:
IQHQ have a vacancy for a Level 4 Software Development Apprentice. IQHQ are a fast growing and high-technology company based at the Malvern Hills Science Park, in Malvern, Worcestershire. IQHQ research, develop and produce the latest state-of-the-art radio communications technology for the UK Armed Forces.
Brief job description:
Estio Training have an exciting new opportunity for a Software Development Apprentice with IQHQ a high-tech company based in Worcestershire.
Candidates will need to show a healthy interest in technology in general, but you will be part of a friendly, supportive but dynamic software development team working on the latest technology.
The candidate will be required get real experience across a range of software development roles. The company will provide in depth training, primarily gained through working on live customer projects. The typical role might involve exposure to the following software languages and major tools:
- NodeJS for desktop processing.
- React and MUI for user interfaces.
- Electron for desktop applications.
- C/C++ for embedded code that runs on a low power embedded processor Linux system.
- PostgreSQL as a database for data persistence.
Your duties and responsibilities in this role will consist of:
IQHQ are a fast-moving company and successful candidates normally have a strong set of grades at GCSE and will eventually be able to work independently when required. As we regularly work with the Ministry of Defence, candidates must be eligible for UK security clearance. Candidates must also be willing to take part in national field trials (as part of a team) to demonstrate the software and hardware to MoD customers.
Candidates will typically gain exposure to the following experiences in software engineering:
- Stack design and development, especially control based user interfaces for monitoring and commanding systems.
- Networking experience, especially protocol design in challenging environments.
- System and data flow design skills.
- Basic control system experience.
- Linux experience (especially in real time applications) for development since our toolchains are built around it.
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
Preferably knowledgeable on the topic, friendly, hard worker with a healthy interest in technology in general.
The role offers long term security and the opportunity to progress into a permanent position. Successful candidates offered full-time role following successful completion of their apprenticeship.
Training to be provided:
Estio apprenticeship training programmes are delivered virtually by our fully qualified and industry experienced training team. Using their expert knowledge, we’ve purposefully built our programmes around the real-world use of modern technology, so that the skills we create can be directly applied in the workplace.
Throughout the apprenticeship learners receive coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated team who are there to ensure they get the most from their work experience.
Successful completion of this apprenticeship gives you an accredited Level 4 Software Developer, with training in how to:
- Create logical and maintainable codes for software development.
- Apply security best practice to the software solution throughout the software development life cycle.
- Apply appropriate recovery techniques to ensure the software solution being developed is not lost.
- Implement accurate and effective change control.
- Undertake unit testing of solutions, with appropriate levels of test code coverage, to identify and resolve issues.
- Apply suitable 'bug fixes' based on severity and priority.
For a full list of programme modules visit: estio.co.uk/courses/software-developer