What you will do in your working day
During the first six/twelve months in the role as an Apprentice Civil Engineer you will:
The training you will be getting
- Start using your diary to plan and record your day.
- Get to know the office based, staff and their role within the business.
- Become familiar with our computer systems, printers, phones, filing systems.
- Familiarise yourself with our Excel Tender files and other software we use - CAD, MS Project, Teams
- Start using our Estimating Procedures - logging tenders, sending our pricing enquiries, using phone, internet and other staff to source information.
- Document transfers to suppliers, clients and consultants.
- Visit one of our construction sites with one of the team.
- Visit our Plant Hire department.
- Build Knowledge of the teams that are required to deliver a project.
- Prepare Agendas and then take Minutes for meetings.
- Prepare basic Bills of Quantities and do take offs.
- Build knowledge of labour & plant - what it is used for, how and the costs involved.
- Build knowledge of materials.
- Start using MS Project and prepare programmes for jobs we are pricing.
- Start using CAD to prepare sketches for jobs we are pricing.
- Using phone, email & internet to prices for the tenders we are preparing.
You will attend Preston College one day per week to study BTEC Level 4 HNC in Construction and the Built Environment (Civil Engineering). (Please note that the college intake year starts each September, you will be enrolled at the earliest opportunity.)What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Following successful completion of the apprenticeship the candidate will progress to be a apprentice Site Engineer and then with further experience to Site Engineer.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Physical fitness, Self -learning motivated, Willing to study in own time, Work to deadlines Qualifications
A Level or equivalent Mathematics (Grade Good) Essential Things to consider
This role will require you to work outdoors.