What will the apprentice be doing?
A Technician Scientist in Cell & Gene Therapy carries out scientific experimentation, laboratory investigations and / or production activities across research and development and / or commercial manufacture of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs). They will use specialised technical skills and advanced scientific techniques following procedures associated with their organisations operational plans to deliver as part of a wider professional team. They operate within a highly regulated environment because of the need to control quality and safety of Advanced Therapies and use their awareness of the research context to contribute to the proposal of new scientific ideas.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Performing laboratory investigations using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods relevant to the development of Advanced Therapies
- Supporting the manufacture of Advanced Therapy Medicinal products according to Good Manufacturing Practice within a controlled clean room environment
- Performing controlled cleaning of laboratories, clean room facilities and specialised equipment in accordance with approved standard operating procedures
- Carrying out experiments, reporting results and the accurate recording of technical data in accordance with good practice and approved Standard Operating Procedures
- Managing scientific projects from project planning through milestones, risk analysis and key performance measures to contribute to the wider organisations operational plans
- Operating highly technical equipment, including but not limited to biological incubators, isolators, centrifuges and cryogenic storage vessels
- Communicating with a wide range of scientific and non-scientific colleagues within the organisation such as Quality Control, Quality Assurance, supervisors and engineering teams as required
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Technician scientist Level 5
- Technician Scientist Apprenticeship Awards (ATMP Pathway)
- FdSc in Applied BioScience
- One day per week study on remote learning platform Moodle
- Two week long summer schools in person throughout the apprenticeship
Possible permanent position on completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Organisation skills, Team working, Motivation to work in industry, Reliable, Integrity, Passionate, Adaptable, Time management Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Biology (Grade C) Essential