Quantity Surveyor Apprentice – Level 6 (London, Berkshire or Birmingham)
About Costain and your project:
Costain has been improving the lives of people through infrastructure since 1865. We have built airports, petrochemical plants, waste treatment works and schools – creating the building blocks of modern life and improving the quality of life of the people who use them.
Some of our recent projects include the £400m redevelopment project at London Bridge Station, the HS2 railway line linking London to the East Midlands and the Thames Tideway Tunnel which is an under-construction 25km tunnel which will provide capture, storage and conveyance of almost all the combined raw sewage and rainwater discharges that currently overflow into the river.
We will aim to place you as close as possible to your desired home location but you may be expected to be flexible during the course of your apprenticeship.
What will I be doing?
The role of Apprentice Quantity Surveyor is to support the more senior commercial staff in the administration of costs and contracts relating to projects. The role may involve all aspects of work from the initial tender to final account and close out, seeking to minimise the costs and enhance value for money whilst achieving the required standards and quality.
This role will work under the close direction and supervision of a more senior Quantity Surveyor.
What will I be doing?
- The preparation of enquiries, analysing tenders, negotiating and administering allocated subcontract accounts including orders, payments and final accounts in accordance with customer or company procedures
- The preparation and agreement of applications for payment, or the assessment and preparation of payment certificates, or the assessment and approval of invoices
- Capturing, managing and communicating change and risk on the project in accordance with the contract
- Record-keeping including but not limited to collating site records, the preparation of meeting packs, meeting invites and taking meeting minutes
- Develop an understanding of the company and how the construction industry is currently developing
- Actively undertake study to obtain an appropriate qualification as agreed with the company