What will the apprentice be doing?
In Sustainability, you will play a key role in supporting the delivery of internal and/or client-facing consultancy services including the advisory and co-ordination of various climate change, sustainability and/or social value related activities on projects and/or programmes. Some of your main responsibilities will include:
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Supporting research and development of client climate change, sustainability and/or social value strategies on individual projects
- Developing knowledge in becoming a technical expert and promote innovation in a particular area of sustainability, such as waste, energy/carbon, water, responsible sourcing of materials, sustainable buildings, etc.
- Development in becoming a proactive generalist, able to cover all major issues of sustainability with all relevant stakeholders
- Supporting the drive for Mace to be a leader in climate change and sustainability
- Demonstration of developing knowledge of sustainable building design, including embodied and operational carbon and energy reduction, in new build and refurbishment projects, including programme, cost and operational impacts of Net Zero Carbon strategies
- Supporting design teams to understand and respond to environmental constraints and opportunities to maximise positive environmental benefits
- Supporting developing Knowledge/interest in one or more sustainability topics (waste, water, energy, carbon, responsible sourcing, building design, biodiversity, etc)
- Ability to translate technical topics to varied audiences and articulate the value of sustainability
- Being supportive of sustainability and demonstrating this by way of example, supporting and encouraging behavioural change throughout the business
- Developing innovation and best practice, including clearly communicating these to the wider business and our clients
- Supporting the translation of best environmental management systems practices from one area to another, including analysing reporting needs in order to simplify the process
- Establishing and maintains positive working relationships with client and stakeholders including design team members, contractors, sub-contractors, and regulators
The Sustainability Assistant apprenticeship will work towards the Environmental Practitioner L6 which consists of work-based experience and training.
Professionally approved or accredited BSc or BA (Hons) Environmental Sciences degree.
Blended on/off the job training and location to be confirmed.What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
We'll also support you in gaining professional membership of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Problem solving skills, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent 5 subjects including Maths and English (Grade 4/C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Including A Level Maths/Geography/Sciences (Grade 96 UCAS Points) Essential