One of Scotland's most innovative universities with over 120 years' history. They aim to have a transformational influence on the economic, social and cultural development of the West of Scotland, and beyond, by providing relevant, high quality, inclusive higher education and innovative and useful research. They aim to make the communities they serve more successful; and to create opportunities for all to participate.
- Learn key aspects of information/cyber security processes relating to the network including firewalls, mail filtering, web proxies, ant-virus/malware/phishing attacks etc.
- Learn how to assist with the logging and reporting of IT related incidents, including information security breaches
- Learn how to assist with reporting of any information security breaches by utilising various software packages, tools and systems including the IT Incident Management System.
- Learn how to support the demands of IT support team on a day to day basis by assisting in call logging, fault finding and call resolution
- Learn aspects of a wide range of common attack methods and tools, techniques and procedures used to counteract them.
- Learn how to work within the Information Security team with the update and addition of content to relevant internet and intranet sites.
- Learn about the regulatory and legal standards surrounding information security and assist with raising awareness of those standards within the organisation.
- Learn how to conduct risk and vulnerability assessments, manage risk and deal with human factors in information/cyber security.
- Learn penetration testing techniques and how they can be used to improve information security within an organisation.
- Learn the fundamentals of various security frameworks and standards including Cyber
- Essentials and ISO27001 and how to implement these alongside other industry best practice frameworks.
- Gain knowledge on various industry and government information/cyber security groups and resources and assist in using such resources to improve information/cyber security awareness within the university
- Learn how to assist with day to day communication within the department including liaison with all IT teams via telephone, email and in person. Learn methods of disseminating information to colleagues both within and out with the department maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Strong interest in IT
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Organisational skills with the ability to be pro-active in planning forward
- Able to work to deadlines
- Understanding of how to deal with confidential and sensitive information
- Flexible approach to work
- Good customer service focus
- Willingness to learn
- Salary - £13,468.50 per annum
- Working hours – Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
- 24 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 3% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Free gym membership
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme professional, career and research development opportunities
“QA’s apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce.”
For more information about QA Apprenticeships, please visit our website. Note: This advert may close early if a suitable candidate is found before the advertised close date is reached