We are pleased to be able to advertise this exciting opportunity within the emergency departments of out emergency departments at Maidstone and Tunbridge wells Hospitals. We are now recruiting enthusiastic and caring staff to undertake an apprenticeship as clinical support workers. Working alongside our senior practitioners, you will be supported in undertaking a nationally recognised Qualification. You will be trained in the treatment of minor injuries patients, including wound closure, dressings and the application of plaster of paris casting. You will enjoy learning and supporting our urgent treatment centre to serve the surrounding communities.
This role will cover both day or night shifts, therefore due to current employment law we are unable to accommodate staff who are under 18 at the time of employment. Furthermore, there are regulations on who can apply for an apprenticeship, therefore we are unable to offer this position to anyone who has not lived in the UK for at least 3 years prior to starting the apprenticeship.Main duties of the job
- Support the Registered Practitioner by undertaking the assessment and evaluation of patient care, i.e. record and document patients' temperature, pulse, respiratory rate, blood pressure, blood glucose and Height and weight (employing manual and automatic methods), recognizing the need to report deviations to the Registered Practitioner.
- Perform minor clinical procedures, e.g. removal of intravenous cannulae, wound closure with Glue and Steristrips, application of dressings, bandages, strapping, splints, slings, tubigrips and Plaster of Paris etc. as instructed by a Registered Practitioner.
- Dependent on identified clinical need (and following appropriate training, supervision of practice and assessment of competence record an electrocardiogram (ECG) recording.
- Escort patients to and from other departments.
- Act as chaperone during clinical examination as required.
- Prepare and support patients both physically and psychologically before, during and after
- treatments, procedures and investigations
- Receive, welcome and orientate patients and their relatives/friends to the clinical area.
- Update patients and their relatives on the current waiting times
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust is a large acute hospital Trust in the county of Kent.
The Trust provides a full range of general hospital services and some areas of specialist complex care to around 500,000 people living in the south part of West Kent and the north part of East Sussex.
The Trust's core catchment areas are Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells and their surrounding boroughs. We work from two main clinical sites: Maidstone Hospital and Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury. Tunbridge Wells Hospital opened in 2011 and provides single rooms with en-suites for all in-patients - the first of its kind in the country.
We employ over 6,500 full and part-time staff in a huge range of clinical and non-clinical roles across both of our hospital sites.Date posted
29 September 2023Pay scheme
Agenda for changeBand
£22,383 a year pa pro rata Contract
15 monthsWorking pattern
Full-time, Part-time Reference number
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells