Laboratory Scientist Higher Apprenticeship - AstraZeneca
AstraZeneca are passionate about developing fresh talent and creating leaders of the future.
We operate in over 100 countries and their medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. There is a team of around 50,000 people working across the globe, driving innovation to solve some of the most serious medical issues facing mankind today.
AstraZeneca's apprenticeship scheme offers you a unique opportunity to learn within a multi-national company gaining useable skills whilst working closely alongside industry experts and professionals. The workplace experience acquired during your apprenticeship will ensure you develop the skills to provide good prospects for full term positions within AstraZeneca and in laboratory science roles within other science based companies.
In addition to gaining valuable working experience you will have the opportunity to study towards professional qualifications dependant on your chosen department whilst earning a competitive salary.
The apprenticeship programme commences annually in September at the Macclesfield site and we are offering Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeships within 3 main areas. These are;
- Quality Assurance/Control - these are roles with a very practical emphasis on drug testing and sampling. Roles will be based in an analytical or microbiology laboratory and ensure the drugs manufactured at the site are safe for consumption and comply with industry standards.
- Pharmaceutical Technology and Development - these are predominantly analytical laboratory roles. You will be working with scientists from multiple disciplines to deliver the analytical understanding to ensure patient safety and progress the development of our new medicines. We are offering roles in Chemical Development and Product Development areas.
- Drug Substance Manufacturing - You will work in the Process Safety Group collaborating with chemists and engineers to ensure the safe design and scale up of new chemical processes to support development of candidate drugs. You will learn about the experimental techniques and processes, often testing materials to destruction, involved in deriving the data required for safe scale up. You will learn how this data is interpreted to avoid potentially catastrophic chemical reaction runaway and fire and explosion hazards at scale.
Beyond your academic qualifications, AstraZeneca are looking for individuals who demonstrate:
- Good communication skills.
- Good team working skills
- High organisation skills and the confidence to work independently
- Logical thinking to be able to apply processes
- The ability to apply a rational approach to problem solving; making judgments based on sound reasoning, approaching problems in a logical manner
- Concerns for standards
- High Numeracy and Literacy skills
- Computer Literacy
- The ability to learn
- Acts with Integrity - Acting in a way that is consistent with accepted values; values may come from personal moral codes, society or AZ
- Works Collaboratively - Team working; works together with others, as opposed to working separately or competitively, for the overall benefit of all
- Develops People - Demonstrates a genuine commitment to the time and effort needed to develop oneself and others
- Passion for Customer - Focusing efforts on understanding customers and meeting their needs
- Drives Performance - Focusing efforts on delivering results and improvements
- Flexible - Flexing and adapting approach to meet the changing needs of the business; easily accepting changes in job requirements
- Five GCSEs (or equivalent) grades A*-C including Maths, English and Science.
- 2 A Levels (or equivalent) at grade C or above (including Chemistry or Biology or an associated Science).