Higher Apprenticeship in Construction Management
1 day left
Employed by one of the region's leading businesses, you will be given an excellent platform to work with some of the most reputable project teams within the property development, design and construction industry.
Being part of this scheme will give you a fantastic opportunity to benefit from a long-term job, valuable training and a higher level qualification. Construction is a priority sector for Greater Manchester, so you will benefit from working in a growing industry. You will be employed by one of the developers, designers, professionals or contractors and experience working with them all.
This Apprenticeship scheme is unique, as each Apprentice spends time in a range of disciplined occupations such as Architect, Project Manager, Cost Consultant, Engineer, Local Authority, Contractor, trade specialist, etc. On completion of the two year apprenticeship, you will benefit from having unrivalled experience of all the stages of a construction project from inception to build.
Main purpose of the job:
This post is a training position, and is designed to enable the post-holder to embark on a career in property development, design and construction. The post holder will therefore undertake a programme of on-the-job training with work based guidance and mentoring, this will be supplemented by continued study towards a Level 4 qualification in Construction Design and Build.
- Assist in the design, development and delivery of high quality residential schemes and Grade 1 Listed Building refurbishment to meet the objectives of the Manchester Life and M Futures building projects, by undertaking placements with a range of Industry Professionals.
- Contribute to the development of the brief, business case and design preparation of the schemes being delivered by Manchester Life and M Futures.
- Assist in preparing planning applications and supporting documentation.
- Contribute to the procurement of Contractors and the estimating and tendering of packages of works.
- Contribute to the construction start up and frame stage of each project and the construction finishing stage and handover of buildings, including understanding building operation.
- Adhere to the programme's project management system and record keeping and the working practices and requirements of the placement provider.
- Liaise with relevant partners, clients and consultants in the public, private and voluntary sectors. Attend meetings with key partners as a representative of the development programme.
- Work with community groups, and other local people as appropriate.
- Undertake community consultation and develop community planning, capacity building and educational activities.
- Undertake all formal and informal training as required.
- Undertake all agreed mentoring and career development sessions with appropriate mentors.
- Take reasonable care of health and safety in accordance with the responsibilities placed upon the Company under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Be aware of personal strengths and development needs and take steps to enhance own performance and professional development, including undertaking any training that may be required.
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the level of the post as may be required from time to time.
Where the post holder is disabled, every effort will be made to supply all necessary aids, adaptations or equipment to allow them to carry out all the duties of the job. If, however, a certain task proves to be unachievable, job redesign will be fully considered.
* Each Apprentice will be employed by a partner of the Manchester Life Development Company or the Manchester City Council M Futures programme and will adhere to that Company's Employment Terms and Conditions.Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Good communication both written and personal
- IT literate
- Team worker
- Committed to developing a career as a professional in the property development, design and construction industry
- Based in Manchester or the immediate surrounds
Open to learners who hold a level 3 qualification or an A level (or equivilent) in a relevant subject with GCSE (or equivilent) Maths and English Language grade C or above and some work experience.
Future prospects This is a two year fixed term contract. Following your Apprenticeship you can continue with a general qualification to a Level 5 Higher National Diploma, transfer to a specialist degree or pursue professional qualifications in your chosen specialism. Things to consider This role will involve undertaking a number of placements with various employers involved in the Manchester Life Development Project and the M Futures programme. The successful candidates will be required to move between employers every four months. The placements will be office or site office based and will require site visits if not located on site. The successful candidate will be expected to attend college one day a week and complete all assignments and course work on time either within their study time or within their own time. As you will be gaining a broad experience of working on this project you will get the opportunity to work with other partners of Manchester Life. Some of the apprenticeship will include working on site (outdoors).