Software Development Degree Apprentice
In 2007 having experienced the many shortfalls of traditional accountancy firms, entrepreneur Darren Fell created a fairly priced, all-inclusive service for freelancers, contractors and small businesses, uniting easy to use software with unlimited in-house support.
In 2009 Crunch was born, offering a game-changing online accounting service for less than half the price of traditional firms.
Today, Crunch are a top 100 accountancy firm providing one of the fastest, most comprehensive accounting services on the market - and are still around half the price of traditional competitors.
Crunch is faster, more efficient and better value than a traditional high-street accountant. Crunch provides the perfect combination of accountancy software & service for freelancers, contractors, self-employed, and small businesses. Over 10,500 clients trust Crunch with their business finances, enabelling them to focus on growing their business.
Crunch is now looking to add a Software Development Degree Apprentice to their team.
Purpose of the Apprenticeship:
To work in a supported learning environment to develop knowledge and skills across the development functions in line with the four year degree route, completing the BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions at the University of Chichester.
To provide assistance to the following functions:
- Application Support
- Software Test/QA
- Java Development
Across the four years a foundation of knowledge will be gained in the above functions and develop a specialism in one area, this will be supported by mentors, line managers and the Engineering team.
All of the following role responsibilities will apply during the rotations. Once a specific function is chosen, a discussion will take place to refine these responsibilities.
- Working closely with members of the Engineering team to resolve technical issues;
- Assisting with debugging of code, writing database queries and tracking issues in the support system and our JIRA issues tracking system;
- Responsible for assisting in all aspects of testing including unit testing, integration and component testing, web testing using Selenium and manual end-user testing;
- Understanding and practice of Java and modern backend technologies to build systems to the specification of a Product Owner, this will involve adding features to our existing products as well as developing completely new micro-services following a service-oriented architecture;
- Becoming proficient in the application of HTML, CSS and JS to develop the front end of websites and applications to the specification of a Product Owner, this will involve adding features to our existing projects as well as developing completely new ones;
- Actively contributing to team discussions, meeting with your mentor and line manager on a regular basis to discuss training and development needs;
- Undertaking a development programme, leading to a degree qualification as part of an apprenticeship;
- Actively participating in your own development plan which will be agreed with your mentor and line manager and as guided by the degree modules; and
- Carrying out such tasks and duties as directed by the Development Manager contributing to the productivity of the teams and your development.
The duties listed above are not exhaustive and you may be asked to perform other duties from time to time that are reasonably required by the Company and in line with your degree apprenticeship. We also note that your responsibilities may change over the course of the four year apprenticeship due to your progression in the role as discussed with your line manager, mentor and tutors from your training provider.
- Advanced numerical and IT literacy skills.
- Exposure to databases.
- Awareness of automated testing.
- Awareness of API development.
- Awareness of the features of a ‘FinTech’ business and topical issues within the wider business landscape.
- Passionate about technology and learning new skills.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal, written and listening
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commercially aware
- Problem solving skills
- Flexible managing multiple priorities
- Client focused
- Results driven
- Work under own initiative
- Team player
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail
- Level 3 qualifications (A-Level/ Btec or equivalent) including Maths and IT
- GCSE or equivalent in English and maths
About Degree Apprenticeships:
The Degree Apprentice is employed full-time and released by the employer to undertake the Degree Apprenticeship at the University of Chichester on a one day per week basis. The aim is to ensure that Degree Apprentices graduate with the expertise that employers need now, and in the future, by providing them with a balance of academic learning and on-the-job practical training. The BSC (Hons) Digital & Technical Solutions develops the Degree Apprentice's practical IT, project management and business skills.