Closes on: 18 December 2023 at 11:59pm
Programme start date: September 2024
Be at the centre of exciting engineering developments on one of the most advanced road networks in the world and achieve a degree-level qualification.
What you'll be doing
As an apprentice Civil Engineer, you’ll get involved with a range of projects and schemes, covering 4,500 miles of road and over 20,000 structures, as well as many miles of drainage, barriers, earthworks and traffic technology.
Working with experienced engineering teams, you’ll be a vital part of our mission to connect the country by creating roads that are efficient, effective and above all, safe.
You’ll also complete a Civil Engineering degree, which will be the first step on your journey towards becoming a Chartered Civil Engineer (CEng).
Depending on your placement, you’ll get valuable real-world experience in our key engineering disciplines such as asset management, pavement and design, with plenty of opportunities to apply your learning on the job and on site.
As well as developing your technical engineering skills and knowledge, you’ll discover:
- How our contracts work How we deliver projects with our supply chain How we use technology to improve safety and efficiency
Find out more about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship.
What you'll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package. Find out more about the benefits we offer at National Highways.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise The ability to give and receive information effectively The ability to write clearly and concisely A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 / grade C or above, including English and Maths
Plus, one of the following:
- A minimum of 112 UCAS points made up of A Levels, or a mix of A Levels and equivalent qualifications (excluding General Studies)
- BTEC Extended Diploma at grades DMM or above in a related subject
- HNC/HND or equivalent qualification in a related subject at Merit grade or above
- Completed a Level 4 Apprenticeship in a related field
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country's freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
Every single day, we get millions of people to where they need to be as efficiently and safely as possible. Our routes bring people together, keep businesses moving and enable communities to stay connected. This is your opportunity to help plan, design, build, operate and maintain England’s strategic road network – and empower our journey towards a digital and net zero future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date.