We’ve got an exciting opportunity for a school leaver who is passionate about technology to join the Group Tech & Product team as a Software Developer Apprentice.
The team started out life in 2002 with 5 people; now we are 150 strong. We are a friendly team all willing to support you through your apprenticeship. The team is made up of Software Developers, Software Testers, Product Managers, Data and Insights, all working together to create and deliver exceptional solutions for our customers. We build the tools our customers need to have less hassle, so they can have more holiday.
A Developer is a great team player who lives and breathes the company values, the team standards, best practices, takes ownership for the end-to-end development process and always looks for ways to improve themselves. You’ll develop your technical skills into becoming a great developer who will eventually be responsible for designing and implementing solutions of an exceptional standard and quality and deliver them back to the customer.
What you’ll be doing….
You will be part of an Agile delivery team whilst on placement with the opportunity to learn and code on a number of different systems & sites.
There is no typical day for a developer in our team; each day provides a new challenge. Whether it’s implementing new features or fixing issues to improve the effectiveness of our website, and the experience for our customers. You’ll gain confidence throughout the course of the placement, and put all your skills into practice in a multitude of projects and iniatives. Rest assured help will always be on hand and the knowledge and experience of the rest of the team and your dedicated Apprenticeship Coach is readily available to help you achieve your goals.
How does the application process work?
- You will be asked to write a short personal statement, no CV or cover letter is necessary. The personal statement only needs to be between 500-700 words. Here is a guide on how to write a personal statement to help you.
- Makers will send you an email inviting you to fill in a short form and register with them. You will then receive a registration email setting out an introductory coding activity in Python and a Coderbyte assessment. You will need to complete both of these within 20 days of registering (please note: this includes weekends). This email may drop in your junk/spam folder so please keep an eye out & let us know if you have any issues or concerns.
- Once you have completed the Coderbyte assessment, Makers will review your scores. If you meet their pass mark, one of the selection coaches will invite you to a Zoom interview. Please note that you will not find out how you scored on the final assessment, results are sent directly to Makers to review.
- Once all interviews have been conducted, they will send a shortlist to us at Holiday Extras. These candidates will be invited to a final in person interview with Holiday Extras at the campus.
Please note: not all applications will make it through each stage of the selection process.
What we’re looking for
The skills and passions we are looking for are:
- Passion for self learning; you proactively seek out and embrace opportunities for professional and personal growth
- Team player; Strong collaborative skills to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Adaptability; the ability to adjust to changes in priorities, tasks & project requirements
- A passion for technology; Genuine interest in and curiosity about technology
- Creativity; ability to generate innovative solutions to problems
- Problem solving mindset
- Great communication; Clear and effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Enthusiastic & driven in your approach to your work
- Embraces feedback and support from peers
- No experience or coding knowledge is required
This is a great opportunity aimed at those who have just finished school/college or will be finishing summer 2024. You’ll gain a recognised qualification and develop your career at Holiday Extras.
The finer detail…
- You need to have GCSE in Maths & English, but we can support you to get this if you don’t already have it
- You can’t have started or completed a Computer Science/Computing or related degree course
- You’ll need to be 18 years old at the time of starting (27th August 2024)
To apply simply click the Apply now button to complete your application, where we ask you a few questions and are looking for you to complete a personal statement.
Applications are open until 14th January 2024.