Location: Cambridge, CB23 8UD
Working for SGS
As the world's leading testing, inspection, and certification company, we, SGS, provide value to society by enabling a better, safer, and more interconnected world. We sustain global standards across diverse industries, including the consumer products sector.
At SGS, we perform a broad range of food testing and analytical services at our laboratories. At SGS we provide expert food testing solutions, supporting the food production retail sector, ensuring their products meet market expectations, thereby reducing risk, improving efficiency and building consumer confidence.
What will I be doing as an apprentice?
We are currently seeking a Laboratory Technician to join our food testing and analytical services team. As an Apprentice Food Laboratory Technician, you will be responsible for conducting tests and analysis to ensure the safety and compliance of food products with quality, safety, and regulatory standards.
You will work in a laboratory environment, detecting potential hazards and reporting on findings / data (e.g., instrument failures, equipment out of tolerance, qc failures, abnormal readings/results).
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Assist in day-to-day running of the laboratory; to include hazardous waste disposal, occasional routine maintenance of company equipment and ensuring the laboratory is clean and tidy at all times.
- Prepare samples, reagents/media/solutions for testing in accordance with the appropriate Company guidelines.
- Work with the quality team to ensure compliance to ISO 17025/ retailer requirements.
- Work with the data systems team to ensure any LIMS is used in the correct manner and any anomalies are resolved.
What could the future look like?
When you join SGS, the possibilities for your success are limitless. As a successful applicant, you have the potential to secure a full-time position within the company at the conclusion of your apprenticeship.
Through practical training on the job, you will acquire new skills and gain the competence and responsibility required for laboratory testing. This apprenticeship program serves as a stepping stone towards a rewarding career in laboratory testing, with the added opportunity for the apprentice to become a registered Science technician (RSci Tech).
This program unlocks a multitude of career paths, granting you access to diverse organisations across various sectors. Whether it's the chemical and pharmaceutical industries (primary and secondary), biotechnology companies, nuclear enterprises, analytical science services, or educational institutions, the doors are wide open.
This apprenticeship can also help pave the way for further educational and professional advancement. You may choose to pursue higher-level qualifications through one of our Degree Apprenticeships such as Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Applied Bioscience or Applied Chemical Science.
Rest assured, your hard work and determination will not go unnoticed!
At Tiro and SGS, we make great things happen for people. And that starts with you. In this role you’ll receive:
- Starting salary of £21,225 per annum
- 37.5 hours per week – shift patterns apply
- Performance related bonus (discretionary and subject to eligibility criteria)
- Private medical cover (subject to eligibility criteria)
- Competitive pension scheme + Life Assurance
- Generous Annual Leave allowance (increasing with service) plus bank holidays.
- An additional day off for your birthday
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Retailer Discounts
- Access to electric vehicle leasing scheme (subject to eligibility criteria)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity and adoption pay.
- Length of Service Awards
- Christmas Vouchers
- Health & Wellbeing initiatives