What you will do in your working day
The training you will be getting
- We need an enthusiastic, committed person who will want to learn all the skills of a journalist here in our exciting newsroom.
- You will be educated to at least good-level GCSE English and Maths and have a keen interest in local and national news. You should also have good social media and digital skills.
- The successful candidate will join our skilled team of reporters. As well as working from our newsrooms, you will attend college to learn shorthand, law and other journalism skills in a course accredited by the National Council for the Training of Journalists, to achieve the NCTJ Diploma as part of the Apprenticeship. Employment is on a fixed term basis for 18 months for the duration of the Apprenticeship.
- No previous experience is needed but you will need to demonstrate natural initiative to find stories and write to a good, clear accurate standard as well as be capable of working in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Level 5 Journalist - 4 days with employer and day release at College
- Location - Various locations across the UK
- Working 5 days per week inclusive of 1 day release for study with Darlington College
On successful completion of the Level 5 Journalist Apprenticeship, you will achieve the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism, along with shorthand which is the standard route into the industry and will enable you to apply for roles within the industry. You may also progress your career with Newsquest as a apprentice with more training for a further 18 months and take the Level 7 Journalist Apprenticeship which will qualify you as a senior journalist and the NQJ qualification, all whilst working alongside other journalists and having the opportunity to contribute news to our various media platforms.
Benefits of the job:
- 6.6 weeks annual leave
- Birthday off
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee rewards program
- Cinema vouchers
- Discounted gym membership
- High-street vouchers
- Virgin Media discount
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Team working, Good writing skills, Willingness to coach, Eye for detail, Quick thinking under pressure, Able to write quickly, Strong news sense, Great people skills, Engaging writing style, Creativity Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths and English (Grade 4/C) Essential Things to consider
Apprentices joining our business will have to be committed to the pathway of study and attending Bournemouth University during the course of programme. You will need to be focused and hard-working and able to manage to study whilst honing your skills and knowledge while working in a busy, demanding and deadline driven environment, where no two days are the same.