What you will do in your working day
The training you will be getting
- This role involves detailed technical discussions with customers, architects, public authorities and landowners together with a sound and pragmatic appreciation of complex engineering problems.
- Apply asset management, design, planning and control.
- Applicants must be personable and approachable, with a firm understanding of engineering and financial matters.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Successful candidates will be expected to study for, and achieve a higher level qualification through Aston University. The majority of the on-the-job training will take place within local teams, but you may be required to undertake placements at other locations across the National Grid service area, so you need to be flexible and able to travel.
- As you will be studying for a higher level qualification at Aston University, you will be required to undertake placements in Birmingham for up to two weeks at a time during the first two years. Accommodation and travel costs will be provided.
- The Apprenticeship programme takes around three years to complete, and you'll spend your first 10 - 12 weeks being inducted onto the programme at one of our Training Centres.
- The training programme provides on-the-job training and formal courses held in one of our Training Centres at either Taunton or Tipton, over a period of approximately two years (depending on entry level qualifications).
- Your Training will include vocational and academic courses along with periods of on the job training and development, learning from an experienced and qualified Network Planner. Following a formal assessment of your knowledge, skills and behaviours, you'll become a qualified Network Planner yourself.
- Following a formal assessment of your knowledge, skills and behaviours, you'll become a qualified Network Planner yourself.
- You'll become integral to the company offering many benefits who offer a supportive working environment, providing you the skills to make robust decisions and successfully deliver essential works.
- We are committed to investing in the latest technologies and working methods to improve service to customers.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 6-9) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 6-9) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade A-C) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science (Grade A-C) Essential