Level 4 Software Tester
Weekly Hours Worked: 37.5
About the company:
We’re a software development and IT business, with an international client base, who strive to help clients deliver their business and operational objectives. Nicander’s principal work is as an established supplier of Control Systems and Asset Management Systems to national and local authorities responsible for highways and transport.
Based in Durham Tees Valley we’re passionate about working in partnership with our customers to provide them with software solutions, service and support that solve problems and deliver value for their businesses.
We look after both our customers and our own people, who are empowered to make their own decisions but are always supported. This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading firm, with a brilliant team and ambitious growth plans.
As well as offering a competitive salary, we also have an attractive package allowing you flexibility, and the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills, which includes:
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible working hours.
- Hybrid working week – 1 day minimum in the office.
- Company profit share allowance.
- Regular social activities for staff.
- Opportunity to develop professional skills.
- Support to gain industry standard qualifications.
- 28 days paid holiday plus public holidays.
- Free parking at Belasis Park offices.
Brief job description:
Estio Training have an exciting new opportunity for a Software Tester Apprenticeship with Nicander, a Software company based in Billingham.
As a Test Engineer Apprentice, you will work as part of a development team alongside our other Test Engineers to ensure we produce high quality software that is valued by our customers. You will engage at all points in the development cycle: design, acceptance criteria, testing, continuous integration, and pre-deployment phases of our software. You will be expected to participate in all meetings regarding the software (once you are familiar with how the system and test processes work), and to help drive forward the quality of the software. You will assist with writing test scripts, both manual and automated, and hold some responsibility for ensuring that all agreed testing has been completed. You will be supported in this role by a Project Manager, Test Engineers and a team of developers who will support you in developing your skills.
Your duties and responsibilities in this role will consist of:
- Assist with managing the testing of business change activities.
- Identify and escalate appropriately where delivery deadlines are at risk.
- Identify relevant areas for regression testing, ensuring sufficient coverage achieved to provide confidence in releases.
- Assist the team with creating manual test scripts in line with the test plan and test strategy.
- Execute tests as required in line with project demands.
- Manage defects with the relevant stakeholders to prioritise defects & coordinate resolution with delivery teams.
- Liaise with the appropriate areas to ensure all non-functional testing is undertaken in line with the test plan.
- Assist the team with maintaining and creating product knowledge documentation for use within the test team.
- Assisting with any functional queries that may arise from business users following releases.
- 2nd / 3rd Line Technical Support.
- Engagement with international customers.
5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
You will be a clear and concise communicator, with an analytical mind, who is able to engage with developers, managers and customers alike. You will have attention to detail and be self-driven.
Skills / Attributes
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to react well to changing requirements with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work within a team and individually on own initiative.
- Commitment to quality and thorough approach to work.
- High attention to detail.
- Proactive approach to own personal development.
- Good timekeeping.
The role offers a permanent role upon completion of the apprenticeship depending on performance.
Training to be provided:
Estio apprenticeship training programmes are delivered virtually by our fully qualified and industry experienced training team. Using their expert knowledge, we’ve purposefully built our programmes around the real-world use of modern technology, so that the skills we create can be directly applied in the workplace.
Throughout the apprenticeship learners receive coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated team who are there to ensure they get the most from their work experience.
Successful completion of this apprenticeship gives you an accredited Level 4 Software Tester, with training in how to:
- Ensure that the software used within your business operates as intended.
- Design and prepare test plans and conduct software testing as appropriate to ensure your software is fit for purpose.
- Collect and interpret the results of testing and make appropriate recommendations.
- Understand the software lifecycle and apply software development practices.
- Document and report test results.
- Store, manage and share test data in a secure manner.
For a full list of programme modules visit: estio.co.uk/courses/software-teste