Apprentice Analyst (Chemical and Pharmaceutical)
Under contract to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), LGC hosts and operates the UK's combined Official Medicines Control Laboratory (OMCL) for chemical testing and the British Pharmacopoeia (BP) Commission Laboratory. The work of The MHRA Laboratories at LGC helps the MHRA protect public health by ensuring that medicines and healthcare products are safe for those who use them. The laboratories are operated under a Government Owned, Contractor Operated (GOCO) model at our site in Teddington.
The laboratories are equipped with appropriate instrumentation which includes HPLC, GC-FID, GC-MS, HPLC-MS, TLC, titrimetry, Infra Red and UV spectrometers as well as necessary balances and other essential equipment.
Job purpose to:
The purpose of the role is to conduct physico-chemical tests on pharmaceutical samples submitted by either the British Pharmacopoeia or the MHRA depending on demand.
- Analysis of samples e.g. over-the-counter medicines, antibiotics, herbal products, and packing material using instrumentation such as HPLC and GC-MS
- Drafting analytical reports/methods and safety assessments
- Running and interpreting analytical data for validation and quality control
- Adhering and contributing to an effective quality system, ensuring work complies with ISO/IEC 17025 standards
- Routine maintenance, daily performance checks and periodic calibration of equipment
- Vialling and ampouling of medicine reference standard materials
- General laboratory support activities
- Your practical work should be methodical, tidy and accurate
- Your computing skills should include a familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- You should have good written and verbal communication skills, and will be expected to keep full and neat work records
- The laboratory is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 and a good understanding of the principles and operation of quality systems would be an advantage
- You will be a well organised and self-motivated worker with a high degree of tenacity for solving technical problems
- The successful candidate will need to work effectively as part of a busy team of analytical scientists
- Candidates must have five GCSEs at Grades A to C (or equivalent qualifications) including Maths, English and a science
- A Level Science or equivalent also required
- You will need to demonstrate a sound background in Chemistry