What you will do in your working day
The successful applicant will be a key member of the Quarry team, supporting with safety Management of all operations within the quarry.
During the programme you will be provided with a wealth of learning and development opportunities whilst gaining a Mineral Products Technician Apprenticeship - Level 5.
You will be working alongside experienced professionals.
You will complete a series of technical modules within various departments and locations across the company.
You will also develop the attitudes and behaviours essential to the safe and efficient operation of our factories.
Your duties will include:
The training you will be getting
- Ensure compliance with the company SHEQ procedures
- Ensure that key government health and safety legislation (Quarries Regulations 1999 and Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Quarries) Regulations 2008) is implemented throughout the site
- Keep up to date with relevant government legislation and industry developments
- Assisting in the management of contractors both in the quarry and on the estates
- Assisting in planning quarrying activities.
- Assisting in day-to-day quarry safety checks.
- Develop recipes to maximise use of extracted mineral
- Build your knowledge of extraction and processing systems and your interpersonal and management skills to ensure the efficiency of the quarry operation
- Check that the quarry's production levels are maintained safely to ensure stock levels are maintained
- Alter the quarry's production system in accordance with the materials required
- Performance manage the production process and set and monitor targets
- Provide information and statistics on the quarry's performance
- Develop links with local groups and organisations
- Manage and regulate the quarry's budget
- Maintain up-to-date records and deal with paperwork
- Ensure quarry water levels are within control
- Develop inspection systems and checklists
- Write development proposals and reports
- Build your knowledge of our customers processes
- Build your knowledge of Clay Technology and Ceramics to assist in problem solving with our clay product factories.
- Basic understanding of how mobile plant works and MPQC Competent Operator card for quarry vehicle, such as a Tractor or 4 x 4
- Complete annual CPD submissions
The University of Derby will deliver the Mineral Products Technician Higher Apprenticeship to the successful candidates. This apprenticeship has a University Diploma in Mineral Products Studies qualification mapped to it. The face-to-face elements of the off-the-job training is delivered at one of the University's campuses with the rest of the off-the-job training delivered by distance learning.What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, it is envisaged you will move into a Management role.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
IT skills, Attention to detail, Practical, An interest in the industry, A desire to learn Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4/C or above) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C or above) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science (any discipline) (Grade 4/C or above) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Two further subjects (Grade 4/C or above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade 4/C or above) Essential
A Level or equivalent Science or Scientific discipline (Grade 4/C or above) Essential Things to consider
A full UK driving license and access to a vehicle by the time the apprenticeship commences would be an advantage, with the flexibility to travel across the country if required as during the apprenticeship you will also complete a series of technical modules within various departments and locations across the company. Planned Interview dates are 5th - 16th February.