What you will do in your working day
Our Service Engineer Apprentices help make sure our company's IT services run smoothly and meet the standards we've set. This includes making sure we meet specific performance goals, follow the rules and regulations, and keep everything working well.
- The broad purpose of the occupation is to provide tactical advice, training and support on core technology applications (both hardware and software) and enable the delivery of application-based products and services.
- You will help to ensure operational integrity and operational compliance with appropriate regulatory and internal standards.
- You will be working with using Agile DevOps based ways of working as well as traditional outcome-based IT service models.
- You will develop skills in collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to identify and resolve customer pain points, inefficiencies, and blockers to delivery.
The training you will be getting
- Apprentices will implement and operate a support desk function.
- They assist with the planning of IT application and infrastructure change projects, implementing, testing and rolling out software and hardware relating to these change projects.
- In their daily work, an employee in this occupation interacts with senior stakeholders directly, both internally and externally, and as part of both the 'front of house' external client/customer facing team and the 'back of house' internal delivery team alongside, for example, learning and development and business information services colleagues.
- They report to IT service delivery leads but are expected to prioritise their workload and act without supervision or approval of their day-to-day work product.
- An employee in this occupation will be responsible for their own workload and will be expected to problem solve and prioritise independently.
- They will deliver a 'first line fix' service in many cases to both internal colleagues and external clients and customers.
- They will maintain ownership of issues (vis-a-vis the internal user/external client) even where elements are escalated to subject matter experts.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- You will study for an Applications Support Lead qualification (Level 4) provided by Estio
- The formal learning will be a combination of online and in person
- 20% of your working time will be protected for formal learning
There may be an opportunity to apply for a permanent role with bp.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
IT skills, Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Analytical skills, Team working Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent Maths and English (Grade 4) Essential
A Level or equivalent Computer Science (Grade 32 points at A level) Desired
A Level or equivalent Information Technology (Grade 32 points at A level) Desired
A Level or equivalent Maths (Grade 32 points at A level) Desired Things to consider
Eligibility: 5 GCSEs with grade 4 (C) in GCSE Maths & English (or equivalent). A Level/BTech (or equivalent) with 32 points in a computing related course. e.g., Computer Science, Information Technology, Maths.