Job Title: Apprentice Mechanical Technician
Salary: GBP20,948 to GBP24,533 per year
Job type: Permanent, Full time
Closing Date: Sunday 17 December 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 10 January 2024
The School of Engineering is looking to appoint a highly motivated individual to join our technical team in the Engineering Department.
You will provide technical support to the Department's mechanical teaching and research activities.
The role will have particular relevance to the mechanical requirements of student projects, teaching laboratories, research activities and outreach missions.
Your work will include frequent liaison with teaching and research staff, undergraduate and post graduate students. You will also be expected to undertake work of a confidential nature on a regular basis. Applicants should be excellent communicators and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
This role is a full time, indefinite role based on-site at Bailrigg.
The expectation is that on successful completion of an agreed development plan, the role holder will move onto the normal grading structure and progress to G5.
The School draws upon over five decades of excellence and innovation in engineering, and today is a thriving centre for research and teaching. Our mission is to perform world-leading research, and to use that research to help understand and solve engineering challenges of global significance. We currently comprise over 120 members of staff and we work across mechanical, nuclear, chemical, robotics & control, electronics, materials and manufacturing engineering subject areas. In autumn 2023 we open our second purpose-built engineering building, further increasing our experimental and laboratory facilities.
You should have a strong commitment to supporting the teaching and research activities of the School and the on-campus staff and student experience at Lancaster, and also a willingness to engage in continuing professional development and outreach activity.
The School of Engineering offers a highly collegial and stimulating environment for career development based on our departmental values of equity, diversity, and inclusivity. We are committed to family-friendly and flexible working policies on an individual basis as well as the Athena SWAN Charter and the Race Equality Charter, which recognise and celebrate good employment practice undertaken to address gender and race equality in higher education and research. Furthermore, we are active and progressive around sustainability, wellbeing and widening participation agendas. We particularly welcome applicants that are enthusiastic advocates of STEM.
Guidance on the material to provide:
- Cover letter: Please discuss why you are interested in this position, your career goals, and how you anticipate this position will help you achieve those goals. Please also describe the skills you have developed that are relevant to this post and tell us about any skills you want to develop further
- CV: Please include the following sections: Education history; Professional experience/Employment history; Areas of expertise/Skills; Career development (e.g. training courses or workshops)
- Supporting Statements: Please provide a supporting statement for each criterium in the Personal Specification document that is listed as being scored via "Supporting Statements". This should include examples that provide evidence of your experience and expertise. Aim for one paragraph per criterium ( 50-200 words)
- Generous holiday (25 annual leave days plus university closures and bank holidays)
- Attractive pension scheme
- Excellent flexible benefits
- Family friendly policies - including flexible working
- Great Learning & Development Opportunities
- Parking (site specific)
We welcome applications from people in all diversity groups.
Please click APPLY to be redirected to our website to complete an application form.
Candidates with the relevant experience and job titles of: Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Fitter, Technician, Technician, Electrical Fitter, Gluing, soldering, fitting of bearings, Welding, Electro-Mechanical Systems Engineer, Apprentice, Apprenticeship may also be considered for this role.