What you will do in your working day
Murphy are looking to recruit the next generation of civil engineers. We are looking to appoint highly motivated apprentices with strong aspirations to pursue an engineering career within a leading UK civil engineering & construction organisation.
As a Civil Engineer apprentice, you will be placed on one of our many UK construction sites and be involved in the different site activities, where you will be exposed to:
- Dimensional control of site works.
- Understanding engineering requirements of a project.
- Planning of site activities.
- Reading of site documents: Site drawings, specifications, standards.
And many more!
Our civil engineering works cover a wide range of engineering activities, such as tunnelling, rail projects, heavy civils, drainage works, bridge repair and replacements.
Working as an apprentice civil engineer at Murphy you will learn how to be responsible for the daily control, management, and coordination of construction activities on site to ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget and to the required safety, environmental and quality standards.
Your responsibilities will increase throughout the duration of the apprenticeship programme as your skills and technical knowledge develop. You will be supported throughout by your assigned apprenticeship mentor, in conjunction with your apprenticeship tutor, to ensure you gain the right mix of skills and experience to successfully complete your apprenticeship.
Key requirements will include:
The training you will be getting
- Always observing health and safety regulations.
- Shadowing project teams senior staff members, asking questions, and assisting wherever possible.
- Participating in meetings and attending workshops and other training initiatives.
- Taking notes and sharing your findings with your supervisor and other relevant stakeholders.
- Establishing professional relationships with staff.
- Maintaining a high degree of professionalism and diligence.
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities.
- Support and participate in process improvement activities.
- Write simple reports and provide information to management.
As part of this apprenticeship, you will follow the Civil Engineering Senior Technician Level 4 apprenticeship standard which takes up to 3 years to complete. At the end of the apprenticeship, you will achieve a Level 4 Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Construction & the built environment qualification, as well as Engineering Technician (EngTech) accreditation Level 4 through the Institution of Civil Engineers.
We are recruiting for this apprenticeship across various projects across the UK. Due to the remote locations of some of our sites, applicants must be willing to travel as required. Due to the nature of our work and size of our sites, we may require you to have a full clean UK driving licence.What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
At the end of the apprenticeship, you will achieve a Level 4 Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Construction & the built environment qualification, as well as Engineering Technician (EngTech) accreditation Level 4 through the Institution of Civil Engineers. The right candidate may move into a permanent position at Murphy and further opportunity to develop.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Team working Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4 or above (A*-C)) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 or above (A*-C)) Essential
A Level or equivalent 3 A Levels must include Maths & Science subject (Grade BBB) Essential
BTEC or equivalent Related Engineering discipline (Grade D*D*) Essential