What you will do in your working day
Within BAE Systems our projects are pioneering, complex, and critical. Planning and Scheduling these projects is an essential, yet exciting element of how we project manage our portfolio. Planning ensures that all the work can be defined, estimated, scheduled, risked, resourced and costed so that a baseline can be established, deployed, and then managed and controlled.
The placements on this scheme are designed so that you are fully immersed against roles within our Planning and Scheduling community to gain a significant understanding and application of Planning and Scheduling competencies upon completion of the apprenticeship. You will build your knowledge on:
- Consolidated planning - Purpose and formats for consolidated plans to support overall management.
- Project scope - Requirements management, and evaluation of alternative methods to learn from the past to improve delivery.
- Project schedule - Scheduling and estimating for project activities including how they can be quality assessed.
- Wider Project Management principles - such as project governance, stakeholder management and project communication.
Building your skills on:
- Scope management- Determine, control and manage changes to the scope of a project.
- Consolidated planning - Consolidate and document the fundamental components of projects.
- Schedule management - Prepare and maintain schedules for activities aligned to project delivery in line with business process.
- Project Management techniques - project quality and resource management.
You will maintain, update and report on key project planning and scheduling data, identify any potential issues and help to identify and reduce risks as the project progresses and help make effective decisions to move the project plan and schedule along. You will use the latest project planning tools and strategies to assist the Planning Managers and Project Managers in keeping projects on track.
Alongside on the job experience, you will gain a Professional Qualification accredited by the Association of Project Management (APM). You will also be given additional BAE training on the principles of Planning and Scheduling and expected to achieve other planning qualifications alongside your apprenticeship standard such as Project Planning and Control (PPC) Foundation and Practitioner professional accreditations.The training you will be getting
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Associate Project Manager Level 4
Around 95% of apprentices choose to stay on with us. And as a global business there are a world of opportunities - whether you decide to stay in the UK, or explore an overseas role.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Organisation skills, Team working Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent 5 GCSEs Including Mathematics, Science and English (Grade A*-C or 9-4 (or equivalent)) Essential
Other 96 (Grade UCAS Tariff points) Essential