This job has expired

Medical Statistician Degree Apprentice - UCB

Employer
COGENT SKILLS SERVICES LTD
Location
216 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 3WE
Salary
£27,000.00 annually
Closing date
15 Dec 2023

View more

What you will do in your working day

UCB invites two candidates interested in a career in drug development to undertake a medical statistician apprenticeship.

In this three year apprenticeship you will gain both work experience in a salaried role, while at the same time achieving a fully-funded level 7 (MSc) degree in Medical Statistics from a UK university enrolled in the apprenticeship scheme.

This offers the opportunity to have the best of both the worlds of work and study, and a direct route to an interesting and rewarding career in medical statistics.

You will be working in UCB's Biometrics and Quantitative Sciences team, which supports all aspects of drug development for UCB portfolio of innovative new medicines. You will work in either the Early Development Statistics or Launch Statistics team 80% of the time and study for an MSc in Medical Statistics over the remaining 20%. The role will be UK based, with hybrid working available - initially from the UCB UK site in Slough, then Windlesham, Surrey when UCB's new state-of-the-art drug development site opens in 2025.

You will have the oppoIn this 3 year apprenticeship with Biometrics and Quantitative Sciences at UCB you will gain work experience in a salaried role, whilst achieving a fully-funded MSc in Medical Statistics. This offers the best of both the worlds of work and study, and a direct route to an interesting and rewarding career in medical statistics and drug development.

Opportunity to learn in a supportive team, guided by experienced managers, mentors and buddies, and build close connections with our other students and apprentices.

At UCB, we are committed to improving the lives of people living with severe neurological and immunological conditions. You will be a part of a global, diverse employee community that brings together the brightest minds and biggest hearts. We are guided by our purpose to create value for people living with severe diseases, now and into the future. To achieve our ambition, we are not just welcoming talented individuals, but people who care about making a meaningful difference in the lives of patients.

Key responsibilities of role will include:
  • Reviewing and writing statistical sections of protocols, analysis plans and reports
  • Programming in statistical packages such as R and SAS
  • Creating summaries and graphical presentations of data
  • Ensuring modelling assumptions based on statistical theory are met and analyses applied are appropriate
  • Providing statistical leadership and oversight of studies as part of a cross-functional team
  • Interpreting analyses and contributing to publications such as manuscripts, posters, and slides, to ensure results are appropriately disseminated

Skills and capabilities:
  • You should have good communication, presentation and organisation skills
  • You should work well in a team and independently
  • You should have the ability to consider the bigger picture as well as have an eye for detail
  • Some programming experience with R, Python or SAS is desirable

The training you will be getting
  • Apprenticeship standard: L7 Medical statistician apprenticeship
  • Training Provider:TBC - either Leicester University or Strathclyde
  • Delivery method:To be confirmed - this might be block release or distance learning through VLE

What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship

Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will be eligible to apply for other positions within the business.The training will expose the apprentice to a wide range of skills and competencies which would make them well placed for further study or suitable for many job opportunities in the life sciences sector.

Requirements and prospects

Desired skills and personal qualities

Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Team working

Qualifications

Other Undergraduate degree in Mathematics or Statistics (Grade 2:2 or higher) Essential

Things to consider

Please ensure that you currently live within or can relocate to a commutable distance of the site The individual will be working within a professional environment and must therefore adhere to site dress code procedures. All applications to be made through Apprenticeship vacancies. Do not contact the employer.

Get job alerts

Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.

Create alert