What you will do in your working day
Our apprenticeships are designed to give you an insight into a wide variety of areas of work and the chance to explore where your skills and interests lie. Through a combination of on-the-job learning and practical skills development, you'll work on real projects from day one that offer scale and variety, collaborating with others and creating meaningful impact on the world around us. You'll work towards your professional qualification; whichever path you take, your future starts here.
You'll also be supported by our leaders, technical specialists, your own dedicated mentor and our continuous learning and development framework.
Not only will you gain valuable 'on the job' experience and work towards professional qualifications but you'll also earn a meaningful salary from day one. We're proud to be paying Real Living Wage for our Level 6 Apprenticeships.
You'll be making asustainabledifference in people's lives, shaping cities, reimagining transport and transforming nuclear energy. And with the opportunity to work across Cities & Development, Nuclear & Power, Transportation, Water or Environment, you'll decide where you want your career to go.
Here's what your role as an apprentice will involve:
The training you will be getting
- Developing your skills in a wide range of exciting projects
- Learning and using relevant design software
- Being involved in client meetings and assisting in building key client relationships
- You'll get to understand and learn digital skills, to help us harness technology in new ways
- Your mentors will support you as you study towards nationally recognised qualifications and accreditation
- You'll have dedicated time to spend at college or university to focus on your studies
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- As a degree apprentice, you will develop skills in manufacturing nuclear components and systems that can be used in a variety of applications
- You will gain a firm foundation in engineering principles and experience across the full breadth of nuclear engineering as you take on a variety of placements across the engineering lifecycle and in different parts of the business, as well as studying for a BEng(Hons) Nuclear Engineering
- Your placements may include product and system design, testing, manufacture and in-service support in a mix of day-to-day and project work
- All of these experiences will equip you to complete your apprenticeship as a nuclear engineer, with a huge range of opportunities ahead of you
- The apprenticeship in Nuclear Science and Engineering will provide an impact for yourself and your company
- Rolls-Royce Submarines will benefit from the knowledge and skills you will use to progress technological development in nuclear engineering and your behaviours will not only contribute to the company's values but will also enable you to work confidently in challenging situations
- Your career aspirations are explored in the apprenticeship and you will be able to progress to IEng or CEng recognition with a professional engineering institution
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent including maths, science and english (Grade 5 GCSE passes grade C or above) Essential