What you will do in your working day
Right from the start of your training contract you will be working with clients, getting to know their business and understanding their challenges. You will be encouraged to take responsibility early on in your training contract and you will be exposed to all aspects of a job.
Your experience will be varied; sometimes you will be working on projects lasting a few days, other times a few weeks. You will predominantly sit within our audit and accounts team, but will also gain experience in the tax teams.
The majority of our apprentices will have a generalist experience but we have opportunities for those who have an interest in more specialist audit experience. Opportunities exist within our Non Profit team, or within our Corporate Client Services team who focus on our large and complex audit clients.
In addition to studying at college, you will be learning on the job through a range of key responsibilities including:
The training you will be getting
- Preparing a basic set of unincorporated or company accounts with reference to the relevant Financial Reporting Standards / Statement of Recommended Practice and legal requirements
- Drafting basic corporation tax computations
- Assisting with managing client expectations and deadlines
- Supporting drafting of recommendations to management following audit fieldwork completion
- Attending client meetings with the wider team
- Building an understanding of audit testing and approach when assisting the audit team
- Supporting with drafting of close out audit meeting agenda and points for discussion
- Accurately and efficiently process client accounting information using relevant software
- Using initiative to come up with innovative ideas to improve systems currently in practice with regards to client or staff matters and a platform to be heard in regular team meetings.
- Sustains awareness of all relevant ISA requirements and MKS internal policies in producing audit files
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of double entryy bookkeeping
- Working with other trainees to deliver assignments and assisting them with their personal development
- To attend client gatherings or client seminars on an ad hoc basis and to pursue specific areas of interest.
You will complete a Level 7 ACA Apprenticeship. You will attend training in London through block release.What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
During your third year you will have an opportunity to gain more specialist experience through secondments. Some of our apprentices have moved into our data analytics, tax, corporate finance and digital transformation teams while some have wanted to stay generalist. Whatever path you choose, the routes for progression are clearly set out. There is so much opportunity to progress at Moore Kingston Smith. Many of our partners started their career here as apprentices and through hard work, commitment and drive have succeeded and are now part of driving our business forward.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Commercial awareness Qualifications
A Level or equivalent Any discipline (Grade 112 UCAS points overall) Essential
Other Undergraduate degree in any discipline (Grade 2:2 or above) Essential