What you will do in your working day
- You will be carrying out detailed visual inspections.
- Making detailed records and giving technical feedback.
- Developing the confidence to challenge/question specifications throughout the manufacturing process.
- You will become trained in other techniques such as liquid penetrant and magnetic particle testing to detect surface breaking defects or you may also get the chance to do volumetric testing such as; Radiography and Ultra Sonic testing, which allows you to detect defects inside the weld. You will need to have the right attitude to health and safety, quality and following instructions.
The scheme will cover:
The training you will be getting
- Material science
- Welding technology/welding inspection
- Non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques
You will have the opportunity to work towards a Level 4 Apprenticeship certificate, during this time you will work alongside existing welding inspectors at Sellafield Ltd and attend college one day per week.
- 1st Year - Training will be delivered at a local off-site training facility. You will learn basic hand, trade skills, welding techniques, reading engineering/fabrication drawings, taking measurements and a basic introduction into welding inspection.
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th Year - You will be placed in the welding inspection team on site/off site and in the supply chain learning about welding inspection, material defects and NDT techniques, i.e. Dye Penetrant, Magnetic Particle, Radiography and Ultrasonic Testing. We also carry out inspections off site as well which means we have to inspect manufactured items/equipment that our suppliers have made in their workshops to check it meets the required standard.
As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against government standard requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training. Within the last six months of your apprenticeship you will undertake an assessment by an independently appointed organisation, where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your capability to perform as a Nuclear Welding Inspection Technician.What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Following successful completion of your apprenticeship, we will look to retain you in a professional full time position at Sellafield Ltd.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills and personal qualities
Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Number skills, Team working, Initiative Qualifications
GCSE or equivalent English Language (Grade 5) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Mathematics (Grade 5) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science or Engineering subject (Grade 4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent X2 Any Subject (Grade 4) Essential Things to consider
Having high levels of attention to detail is vital in this role and in the written write up on records. It is a requirement for the role that you are able to pass an NDT vision test in accordance with BS EN ISO 9712, this is required to be maintained at 12 monthly intervals.