Degree Apprenticeship- Information Systems Infrastructure Apprentice
We are looking for an apprentice who is organised and has a can-do approach to help to implement and support a range of Information Technology products and services at Sedgemoor District Council
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is looking to expand their current IT technical skills and gain a thorough understanding of IT in the Public Sector. During the apprenticeship you will follow a defined work plan, with the added benefit of studying IT to a degree level qualification.
The successful candidate will be expected to undertake a wide range of IT infrastructure-based projects across the Service, supporting existing network, desktop and server based infrastructure.
Working alongside a team of experienced IT Infrastructure personnel based at Bridgwater, you'll learn about the latest techniques and ensure the continued success of the IT department. The service continues to support both internal and external public sector organisations while increasing our private cloud provisioning to other public sector organisations.
Duties and Responsibilities include:-
- To operate in accordance with designated work processes for achieving measurable improvements in delivery of customer requirements, in particular to the Information Systems services.
- To undertake tasks and work packages identified in Service Desk Express (SDE) as required, within formalised work processes and/or agreed with managers consent and where possible, to resolve requests immediately, avoiding assignment to others
- To maintain a sound knowledge of technology in general and assist with operational delivery eg. Windows, Office based toolset, various back office systems, Software/Script Development, PC, Network and general system maintenance.
- To assist and maintain the asset register for Information systems to ensure the products used are effectively maintained.
- To assist and maintain procedures in relation to all systems in use.
- To liaise with customers and assist in their use of Information systems as appropriate
- To work flexibly as part of the Information systems Team at all times including occasional non-standard hours eg. Availability to support Disaster Recovery Procedures, major upgrades and software changes during non-operational times. In addition working anytime between 8.00 am and 6.00 pm in accordance with service needs where this may be required
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Puts the customer first
- Delivers prompt and efficient service to customers
- Maintains good relationships across the organisation
- Demonstrates awareness of issues affecting personal safety and the safety of others
- Follows safety rules and regulations
- Develops job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development
- Seeks ways to improve processes with the aid of new technology
- Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions
- Structures information to meet the needs of and understanding of the intended audience
- Confident in dealing with a range of people and situations at all levels.
- Flexible approach to working practice
- Requirement to attend University College Weston ( UCW) on average one day per week and submit controlled assessments
- Occasional requirement for out of hours working to assist with system maintenance or upgrades for which compensating time off will be given
- English and Maths GCSE's at C or above, or equivalent
- Either three A levels at Grade C or above or a BTEC, 3 merits (MMM). Equivalents will be considered but may be subject to a programming assessment
- Good knowledge of PC's, associated operating systems/devices and Microsoft Office Toolset including trouble shooting