The apprenticeship features a 6-year programme based on the Solicitor Apprenticeship Standard, incorporating a degree awarded by City, University of London and a final assessment with the SRA's qualifying solicitors exams leading to full enrolment with the SRA.
This role will involve supporting the operational functioning of the service whilst learning and developing the key skills and experience required for a solicitor.
You will be expected to attend University 1 day a month and will be granted 1 day a week study leave(destination to be agreed).
You will cover both contentious and non-contentious areas of law and will gain the knowledge needed to practice effectively, taking into account changes in the role and developments in the law.
You will need to be highly motivated and committed to this apprenticeship.
What work will I be doing? What duties and responsibilities will I have?
- Under supervision assist fee earners with caseloads.
- Under supervision prepare, negotiate, draft and agree legal documentation and forms and such documentation as associated with the legal process.
- Liaise with Counsel and external Solicitors under supervision where appropriate.
- Undertake legal and factual research, prepare briefing materials on particular cases and monitor new legislation.
- Preparation of bundles for court, tribunal and other hearings as required.
- Produce financial related reports from any legal case management system as required.
- Create and maintain Legal Practice files and records both electronically and manually.
- Gain experience in basic legal principles, practice and managing a personal caseload (under supervision) in both contentious and non-contentious areas of law including civil and criminal litigation, property, planning and regeneration, contracts and procurement, governance, safeguarding and partnership, and employment law.
- Manage your time, effort and resources effectively so that you develop good working practices to enable you to plan and organise your work to achieve personal and team objectives.
- Ensure that telephone and electronic messages are dealt with in an effective and responsible manner and, where possible deal with enquiries or pass to the appropriate officer/Division.
- Diarise and file correspondence and case files as and when requested.
- Be committed to the entire programme of your studies and work placement.
- For years 4-6 of the apprenticeship the duties will be similar to those of a Trainee Solicitor. (updated JD will be provided at this time).
- Applying legal knowledge and commercial judgement to produce solutions which meet clients' needs and address their commercial or personal circumstances.
The ideal candidate will have the confidence to deal with various individuals and groups. You will be supported to undertake recognised qualifications whilst gaining invaluable on-the-job experience. You will need to be a team player, reliable, adaptable, conscientious, and able to work to instructions.Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Ability to work with technology
- Ability to work in a business environment
- Customer service skills
- Practical ability
- Proficient in Microsoft Word Use of Email/Internet
- Have experience of working in an office environment.
- Team Player
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Meeting deadlines
- Understanding of confidentiality requirements
- Mature attitude
- Ability to deal with sensitive personal client situations effectively
- Planner/thinking ahead
- Leadership skills
- Ongoing interest in Legal
- 5 GCSE grades *A to C or equivalent are essential, specifically Maths and English.
- 3 A Levels grade B or above or equivalent.
- This apprenticeship is open to candidates who do not have a degree or working towards a degree. Nor who have completed an apprenticeship at Level 6/7
- Completed a Law A-Level however not essential