Higher Apprenticeship in Food Technical Services
This apprenticeship gives you a competitive salary and benefits to allow you to earn while you learn.
You will be part of a technical team that performs a vital role with varied day to day tasks. You will check, record and report issues relating to the quality of meat products and food safety, making sure that products are safe to eat.
During your working week as a Higher Apprentice you will be involved in a wide range of activities that will include auditing, analysing data, attending meetings and visual checks on products (depending on which site you are working at), you will also use quality testing equipment for example temperature probes and will take test samples to be sent away for testing in off site laboratories. You will be given responsibility for assuring quality of final products and for finding issues in products before they go to customers.
Technical teams must know which issues are the most important by following customer specifications and be able to prioritise their working day to make sure that all relevant check are carried out. They work to deadlines and must understand production schedules. You will use a software quality management system to document findings and meetings will involve other teams on site and also supermarkets and auditors coming on site to carry out audits.
The Higher Apprenticeship will combine university studies with the University of Lincoln working towards a Foundation Degree in Food Manufacturing, with extensive practical work on site to develop knowledge and skills. A Level 3 Diploma in Food Industry Skills will be delivered in the work place to allow you to work with your site on work place projects that will develop your technical skills.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- A job in Technical Services requires strong communication skills, organisation skills, good time management and planning
- The ability to trouble shoot and solve problems with a team and encourage colleagues in a fast paced environment to follow procedures and maintain documentation and records.
- Minimum GCSE Grade C or equivalent in English and Maths.
- We are looking for candidates who have A Levels at C or above. Desirable A Levels are in Biology, Chemistry and Food Technology; although not essential.
- Equivalent BTECs and all other Level 3 qualifications will also be considered.