Apprentice Software Tester
Are you an aspiring IT guru looking to step up and take your career to the next level? Razor sharp attention to detail but who can see the bigger picture and think logically? An international, market leading provider of technology systems and services to education sectors is looking for an Apprentice Software Tester to join their rapidly expanding team.
Who you'll work for:
The employers' vision is to empower the world of education and they make it their mission to provide the software and services which underpin student success.
They are a market leading provider of technology systems and services to education sectors around the world and are proud to create truly global solutions that impact the lives of so many. Their work spans six continents and they employ around 900 people in locations across the UK and Asia-Pacific region.
In this role, you will join a small team in their friendly office in Nottingham city centre. The team is part of the Benchmarking department which provides “best in class” financial benchmarking services and software which helps universities and colleges to operate more efficiently to enhance the student experience and improve student outcomes.
As an Apprentice Software Tester, you will be involved in the quality assurance stage of software development and deployment. You'll conduct automated and manual tests to ensure the software created by developers is fit for purpose. Software testing is a vital function involving the analysis of our software, and systems to ensure that we release the best, most reliable software possible.
In this role, you will become a valuable member of an established development team, actively contributing towards the test framework roadmap and committing manual and automated tests.
- Develop an understanding and working knowledge of the fundamental test processes.
- Develop an understanding and working knowledge of the software development lifecycle procedures, in particular Scrum and Agile.
- Understand and follow test strategy and associated work instructions.
- Test systems using recognised test methodologies and manual/automated techniques at all appropriate points of the development life cycle.
- Contribute to the design of manual & automated tests to verify system function as defined by product specifications.
- Provide feedback on the suitability of software for release, appropriately escalating risks and concerns to the Lead Developer for items that could affect the delivery and quality of release.
- Work with developers and other members of the team to ensure appropriate level of tests are defined during the test phase.
- Provide estimates for work in the appropriate domain.
- Provide documentation for both methodologies and scripts where appropriate.
This role is unique in that not only will testing technologies be explored, but exposure to development techniques and tasks will also be given. The successful candidate will become an all-round expert in the technical side of the department gaining the skills to apply themselves as either a developer or a tester. Full training, support and encouragement will be provided as you take your first steps on the path to a successful technology career.Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong aptitude for problem solving
- Critical thought and rational enquiry
- Able to follow documented instructions (test scripts)
- Able to retain concentration on repetitive tasks
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadline
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to be consistently accurate in all aspects of work
- Ability to understand specifications/requirements
- A sense of intellectual curiosity
- Able and willing to learn quickly
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Passion for software & technology
You don't need loads of professional experience in IT. However, you'll need at least five GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade C or above including Maths, English and IT / Science an ideally, an A-Level or equivalent such as BTEC or Level 3 Apprenticeship.Future prospects The employer has a great record for promoting internally. Many of their senior managers and leaders joined the organisation in junior positions, going on to be promoted internally. They see apprenticeships as a great avenue to get Talent into our business. Therefore, whilst this apprenticeship doesn't lead directly to an ongoing role, as a large, growing, global software company, we envisage that candidates who have performed well during their apprenticeship will be in a strong position to take advantage of any future opportunities that are available. Things to consider The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).