ATA Level 5 Life Sciences Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship - Horizon Discovery
Responsible for cell biology, immunoassay laboratory-based tasks, which include sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysing results.
You will provide all the required technical support to enable the laboratory to function effectively whilst adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines. You will also benefit from one-to-one coaching and have your own mentor to provide help and advice during your time with Horizon Discovery.
Tasks typically involve:
- Conduct laboratory experiments and projects in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations; such tasks will include cell culture (primary cells and cell lines), cell-based assays, molecular biology and biochemistry techniques as directed by the Senior Project Manager.
- Carrying out routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses.
- Record all laboratory work to the agreed company and departmental standards.
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced.
- Carrying out experiments and recording data and sometimes interpreting results to present to senior colleagues.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- IT literate.
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Openness to change and ability to think out of the box.
- Ability to present work to different levels.
- Ability to plan ahead and prioritise issues.
- Use your own initiative and work independently when required.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to change priorities at short notice.
- A team player.
- 3 A Levels (or equivalent) Grade B or above (two or which must be in a Science subject (ideally Biology) - 80 UCAS Points.
- Five GCSEs at Grade C or above including Mathematics and English (or equivalent)